Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pissed!!!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM
  • 4 Replies
My husband and I have lived in our house for 13 months. The first few weeks our landlord came by every few weeks or so just to check and see if things were going good. My husband had a VERY good job, so we paid our rent on time and it was all good. She eventually quit bugging us about December of last year. February, my husband lost his job. It took until May before he got another. My grandmother paid our rent for us on the 15th, just like it's due every month. We didn't worry about it. We haven't seen her but 3 times since January. She came by when my husband was on his lunch break once, this weekend when she came home from her family's home/vacation, and now today. She came in the house with the bank statements from maybe the past year today. We both use the same bank, so I realized instantly what it was. She asked me if we had paid rent for the past 3 months, since we just deposit $500 into her account and don't pay it to her directly. I said, "yes, of course. We need a home!" She gave me her statement for the past few months and there are NO DEPOSITS from us!!! We even wrote checks! They're not on there! In maybe June or July, our bank switched their system and literally EVERYTHING has been screwed up! We haven't been able to check our account balance from our debit card, our checks have been denied. I also know several other people who use/d the same bank and have things mess up on their accounts. It's SO irritating. Anyway...she walks into our house (without knocking) and starts in about how we haven't paid our rent the past 3 months!!!! WTH?! She even has her bank statements where we haven't paid it. It showed up last month, but that is IT. So, now, we owe $1000 for June and July and another $500 due tomorrow. My husband brings home a little over $400 a week!!!! I have no way to call the bank, no way to let my husband handle this, and I am so upset beyond control. We cannot afford any more bills to back-pay for all of this if they can't find their error. I'm so f**king pissed!!!!!!
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NearSeattleMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Could it be a misunderstanding with your grandmother?  You said she's been paying the rent?  or after your grandmother stopped paying it, you started paying it again three months ago but there's no record of it?

I'm thinking you ought to be able to get canceled checks . . .

Haven't you gotten your own bank statements for the past three months?

I'm sorry this is happening . . .

ambermarie2006
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM
You should be able to get cancelled checks at the bank
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine.hale
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

My grandma did pay it.  We all use the same bank.  (Small town.)  She brought us those receipts, but those aren't the months in question anyway.

I'm going to the bank in the morning to see what is up.  And we haven't had a bank statement since before our 3 month old was born.  We realized this once my husband got home...after the bank closed.

momofqxb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM
So instead of calling the bank to make sure your rent was getting paid you ignored it? I would have been calling every time a bill was scheduled to come out to make sure they were taking the money like they were supposed too.

Or did they take the money from you and just not deposit it to her?

And if they didn't take the money from you to give her why is it not still sitting there waiting to get transferred?

Sorry but you were a little vague on the details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)