Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop Nursing Already!!! Please be nice...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am ready for my dd (2) to be done nursing. She currently only nurses at night, waking up about twice a night. I really want another baby but I do not want to be nursing when I'm pregnant this time. I Breast fed my son until he turned 2...well actually a little longer. DD doesn't want anything to do with "her milk" unless its over night. During the day she doesn't ask for it, when I've offered to nurse her before nap of bed she says "NO! my cup" so Its not like she's not ready.

How do I get her to stop over night? Please be nice It breaks my heart that se is this big and that we are coming to an end of or nursing days. But the time has come. thanks for any and all advice.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM
Just stop? That cant be good for her teeth at nighg
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeepinmom4
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Yea,its going to be hard on both of you,but just stop! I never breast fed so idk how to tell you to stop but I do hope someone can help you. Gl mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomen1
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM
I would just stop and i dont think it harms her teeth at all... Good luck mama its gunna be hard. Dd nursed for 22 months and it was terrible weaning her but like u said the time has come.

The best advice i can give is to not replace it with something like a sippy cup or pacifier because that will be another habit to break later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyEmrys
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM

i dont have much advice for you... i stopped bf at about 9 1/2 months, and he hadnt had a night feeding from about 8 months on. we just let him sleep, and if he woke up we waited to see if he would go back to sleep, and he did. he sleeps thru the night, so he doesnt feed then. now at 16 months he gets a bottle before bed, and thats it.

OBImomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I don't think I can just stop and listen to her scream for hours =(  I know there has to be an easier way. With my ds I told him he was big and we were all done nursing. that was the first night he slept through the night and he's been sleeping through the night ever since.

JG86
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM
I don't really have any advice, so here's a bump! My son is only 11 months...He still nurses all night long, and I'm not planning on weaning anytime soon. Good luck- I imagine that must be a hard decision to make!

And PS it is not harmful whatsoever to the teeth...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FolasadesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM

the way i stopped was i just did.

you know how your half hearted about it and stuff.

one day youll wake up 100% over it and that will be the day youll stop.

i stoped at 19mths. like your DD mine was only nursing at night too.

but when my DD stoped she became a paci addict... we then had to take that off her too! so it was the same thing over again... she gave up paci at 3 yrs...

KREP
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Just do it less.

When my DS was only nursing at night, I just took a feeding away. Like instead of doing the 2, only do it once. Then every other day, then every 2 days. Just comfort her instead. Don't pick her up, because that will just start another habit. But, caress her cheek, or just lay her back down with a lovey or blanket.

I hope this helps. It worked for me, also I never had any engorgement, since I slowly cut feedings. Stopping BFing cold turkey is almost never a good idea.

Good Luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FolasadesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM

its not cows milk or formula its breast milk. so its not packed full of suger.

Quoting JG86:

I don't really have any advice, so here's a bump! My son is only 11 months...He still nurses all night long, and I'm not planning on weaning anytime soon. Good luck- I imagine that must be a hard decision to make!

And PS it is not harmful whatsoever to the teeth...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
FolasadesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM

you could use a transitional object? say a blanky or toy

Quoting OBImomma:

I don't think I can just stop and listen to her scream for hours =(  I know there has to be an easier way. With my ds I told him he was big and we were all done nursing. that was the first night he slept through the night and he's been sleeping through the night ever since.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)