Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I severely need your help please!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM
  • 20 Replies

I AM SO FRIKKIN SICK.

My doctor never gave me the list of approved medications.

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and I have the worst cold of the YEAR! I could win the guiness book of world records for the most TP I've used to blow my nose with for the past 48 hours.

Please, I need this congestion to stop. I work 12 hour days at a call center, and everyone that calls me is like "OMG YOU SOUND HORRIBLE!"

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormystar15
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM
One of my friends worked for a ob and she told me when i had a cold that i could take sudafed (sp?) but i never asked my dr. i figure with her being a nurse she would know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dayciavu
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Tylenol cold is ok to take while pregnant. I'm not sure about sudafed
brandspanknnew
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Thank you! I'm gonna go pick some up on my break, that way I can have an awesome day at my desk!

(I must admit, the only thing I miss about being sick when NOT pregnant, Nyquil. I swear that stuff cures EVERYTHING just by knocking you out!)

LArgoLAdy23
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM

okay.... I did somme research for you.

Rule #1

Pregnant or not, only look to get medication thgat treats your most ailing sypmtom.(sinus pressure, runny nose, cough)

Pain  Relievers: No Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) ex: IbUprofen and Advil

Expectorants:Marie Picone Ford, a pharmacist in Moncton, N.B. “Look for a medication with Guaifenesin in it"

Cough Suppressants; 1 tblsp of honey mixed w/ or swallowed after a tblsp of honey

Decongestants:These medications, which come in a variety of forms (i.e., oral medications, nasal sprays or drops, etc.) are designed to relieve stuffy noses and heads. But use these cautiously and only when absolutely necessary, suggests Dr. Koren. “We suggest women to consider the nose drops or sprays (such as Otrivin), but you should not overdo them. So during the severe bout of the cold, take them before you go to sleep so it will free up your airway during sleep,” he says. “And the reason to give it in nasal spray is because very little is absorbed systematically in Mom’s circulation. So the risk to babies is marginal to non-existing.”

Hope I helped a little. If your looking for a completeley natural way here are the things you need.

Hot tea, humidifier, Echinacea, and vitamin C

Hope you feel better.

Duke311
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM
Sudafed is for sure ok to take. Its on my piece of paper from the docs and I double checked with the pharmacist when I went to get it. If u do get sudafed make sure you don't get something like Tylenol cold that might already have something for head congestion. Just buy one or the other. Check with the pharmacist and they should be able to tell u what combo of meds to get
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

my dr told me plain ol robatussin

brandspanknnew
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Thank you all so very much. @barrelracer1699 I was thinking that would be alright, and hoping lol .Robatussin is a miracle worker.

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM

sudafed(make sure its the real sudafed not the other stuff over the counter), robatussin, mucinex (again the regular), and throat lozenges. i was a pharmacy tech for awhile. also you can take childrens claritin if you need an antihistamine. 

MsAntoine
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

This usually works for me green tea with honey and half of a fresh squeezed lemon....hope u feel better hun

pocah8503
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You can put vapor rub in your nose, on your chest, on your back, and on feet (I know its sounds sticky). It really helped me. Hope it helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)