Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dangerous?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am a FTM and making up my Christmas wish list.  I was looking at baby stuff and saw this SwaddleMe Infant Wrap Organic Cotton

My cousin really loved her SwaddleMe, but when I read the reviews someone stated that their baby got her arms up through the neck hole and almost choked herself twice.  Has anyone heard of something like that?  Would this be dangerous?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missretro13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM

My son was a MAJOR wiggle worm and he never got his hands out the top. Occasionally he would get them out the bottom or get his feet out but he never got them out the top.

brenatens
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Do you think perhaps she didn't wrap it tight enough?

Quoting missretro13:

My son was a MAJOR wiggle worm and he never got his hands out the top. Occasionally he would get them out the bottom or get his feet out but he never got them out the top.

EricaMac
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I have the Halo Swaddle Sleepbag and I like it a lot.  It has the option of swaddling them with their arms out (which basically just turns it into a wearable blanket when they're feeling squirmy).  Kairi likes to be swaddled with arms in at night, but with arms out when she's feeding or just cold during the day.  She can get her arms out of the top when she sets her mind to it, but never in a dangerous way at all, the way it is made she doesn't choke herself or anything like that... these products actually make sleeping safer for babies because you don't use loose blankets that they could suffocate on.  I say go for it.

<---Kairi in the Halo with arms out

EricaMac
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Actually, by looking at the picture i just realized she doesn't choke herself because as you can see, the Halo has arm holes so she can't put her arms through the neck hole.  If you're worried about that maybe you should buy the Halo instead.

missretro13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Quoting brenatens:

Do you think perhaps she didn't wrap it tight enough?

Quoting missretro13:

That would be my guess. I had to wrap my little man super tight because he wouldn't sleep at all if I didn't. He could get out of ANYTHING. These actually worked quite well until he got to big for them.

missretro13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Quoting EricaMac:

Actually, by looking at the picture i just realized she doesn't choke herself because as you can see, the Halo has arm holes so she can't put her arms through the neck hole.  If you're worried about that maybe you should buy the Halo instead.

I had one of these as well. My only issue was that they are made of a thick fleece and since my son was wrapped until he was like 7 months old and that extended into the summer, it was WAY to warm. However, I am pretty sure that they make them in a cotton material too.

Duke311
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM
I used them with my now 2 yo till he was about 5-6 months. He loved it. He slept sooo much better than my 1st 2 kids and he still sleeps great. I highly recommend the swaddlers. I will be using them with my baby that's due in march also. My son never got stuck or anything like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missretro13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

For the first few months I did a special swaddle with a blanket that was tight and hard to get out of. I did that until the blankets got too small. Then I switched to the Halo. Then when it got warm I switched to the SwaddleMe. Then I was looking into one called a Woombie (they make ones big enough for a one year old) and ordered it and after waiting longer than it was supposed to take for it to get here I said "that's it" and made him sleep without one. After a few sleepless nights, he got used to it.

As you can tell I had to become somewhat of an expert in swaddles. Both of my kids were like this.

brenatens
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Awww she is beautiful, I can't wait to see my little one <3

Quoting EricaMac:

I have the Halo Swaddle Sleepbag and I like it a lot.  It has the option of swaddling them with their arms out (which basically just turns it into a wearable blanket when they're feeling squirmy).  Kairi likes to be swaddled with arms in at night, but with arms out when she's feeding or just cold during the day.  She can get her arms out of the top when she sets her mind to it, but never in a dangerous way at all, the way it is made she doesn't choke herself or anything like that... these products actually make sleeping safer for babies because you don't use loose blankets that they could suffocate on.  I say go for it.

<---Kairi in the Halo with arms out

brenatens
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Quoting missretro13:

Quoting EricaMac:

I had one of these as well. My only issue was that they are made of a thick fleece and since my son was wrapped until he was like 7 months old and that extended into the summer, it was WAY to warm. However, I am pretty sure that they make them in a cotton material too.

That's a good point also.  I am due in April, so it may be to warm for my little one right away.  Maybe I can get the halo next fall when he/she has grown out of the SwaddleMe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)