Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Have a Condition I've Never Even Heard of Before!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM
  • 4 Replies

So last week I woke up one morning with what I thought was a headache that was wrapping around my left eye. When I turned the light on in the bathroom and looked in the mirror, I totally freaked. My left eye was blood red and my vision was starting to get fuzzy. I didn't hesitate to call my doctor and made an appointment with him for later that day. I tried to stay as far away from everyone as I could for the first half of the day because I thought it was Pink Eye. Well when I went to the doctor, he looked at my eye and said it could be Pink Eye but that it wasn't presenting like classic Pink Eye so he wasn't sure. He perscribed me some drops and told me to call back the next day if there was no change or it got worse. Well it got worse. By the next morning, my eye got redder and my vision out of that eye got fuzzier. The pain was pretty bad and disorientating at times. My Doc reccomended I go see an Optamologist and referred me to one that I was able to get in to see the next morning.

Turns out I have a condition called Iritis. It is a severe inflammation of the lining of blood vessels around the eye. Its common but they don't really know what causes it in healthy people like me. Most people that get it already have an underlying health issue that brings it on but in my case, there's just no way to know.

It can be tricky to treat because its stubborn but so far the treatment schedule I've been on seems to be helping. I went to see my Optamologist for a follow up yesterday and he said the redness and inflammation are going down thankfully. Earlier this week I got a scare though when I woke up Monday morning and my vision out of the affected eye was worse. Apparently Iritis sufferers can sometimes develop a thin layer of some goopy substance I forgot the name of over the lens of the eye. I'm also really light sensitive which sucks. I've gone the past few days with a hood on 95% of the time to keep light out. I have to treat this thing with prednisone eye drops once an hour and dialation drops 3 times a day. Its tedious and annoying but so far it seems to be working. Its just a bit of a slow process. I'm just thankful its healed enough now that I can drive! Ugh I just hope this clears up even more before my birthday on Saturday!

I'm so glad to know whats wrong and have the proper medication to treat it but I'd never heard of this condition before being diagnosed with it. Apparently it does have a tendency to recurr but not in all patients so hopefully when this is gone, it won't ever come back. I never want to deal with this crap again!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LadyTsunade81
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

BUMP!

Armywife25u
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

omg that is scarey. I've heard of it but i watch a lot of discovery health! Good luck in your recovery!

LadyTsunade81
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Quoting Armywife25u:

omg that is scarey. I've heard of it but i watch a lot of discovery health! Good luck in your recovery!

Thank you! I was so glad when my eye doc told me it was getting better because if it hadn't, the next step would have been a Cortisone injection into my lower eye lid :(

sunshine.hale
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM

My cousin has this.  He took medicine for ADHD for 12-ish years...somehow it affected his eyes.  His optic nerve is also "shaped funny" which is a genetic thing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)