• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor 7yo brother.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM
  • 24 Replies
I was walking through the hall and heard my mother screaming at my brother as their doing home work. I know my mother never finished hs and she also has a hard time helping him as well and gets angry at him. Well so I offered to help him finish his homework. First off he's got so much hw for a 2nd grader lol wow. Anyways as I'm helping him I realized my brother can not read. He has a really hard time. I told him to sound out the word "use" and his answer was "you", I asked him to sound out "cute" he pronounce "c" with the letter "a" sound. So now I wonder if my brother even knows the "abc's" it's so sad to see him struggle and I can't imagine how he feels when he's in school. All I know is my mom is seriously neglecting his school work or he has a learning disability, and I need to jump in and help right away. Where do I start flash card for the abc's? I just feel so bad and want to help him before it gets worse. *sigh*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prissypoptart
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Dam girl. That's horrible.. maybe suggest tutoring to your mom. Was it like that when you were young? :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beautiful_life
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Flash cards and he needs to learn the sounds that each letter makes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMomma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:21 PM
talk to your mom tell her tutoring could really help him & relive her stress,flash cards could help.maybe special ed (its not just for mentally handicapped) i had special ed senior year & it SAVED me from not graduating, good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear18
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Yes she was worse on me. I've been smacked in the back of the head everyone I made a wrong answer. It was very traumatizing I grew to hate school. She's very tough on my little brother but no where near how she was to me.

Quoting prissypoptart:

Dam girl. That's horrible.. maybe suggest tutoring to your mom. Was it like that when you were young? :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuctorEtEmergo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Quoting prissypoptart:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuctorEtEmergo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Could he perhaps come to your house when he is doing homework?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM

definitely flash cards... there's also a DVD from leapfrog. lol i think it was on netflix..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPbIjENEWs (<-- the youtube video of it. its only A and B, but it goes through the entire alphabet... BF's mom runs a daycare and within a month, even the 2 year olds knew each letter AND how to sound it out). if you cant find the DVD, or its not on netflix, i can send you my copy- DS doesnt need it anymore... but I would like it back if i ever have another kid. lolyou can use it for however long you need it... kids REALLY enjoy it- i mean, even the babies (under 12 months) were just staring at it and trying to make the sounds... babbling, but they were attempting. lol

you can work on 'sight' words too, after he learns each letter. sight words are words you can read by just looking at it... "and, like" simple things like that.

my question is-- with him so far behind, how did he pass the previous classes? around here, they dont have to be avid readers, but they need to know the very basics in order to go to first grade. =(

and when you work on the homework with him, dont yell at him/lose your temper. my bro is/was the same way and every time he got yelled at, it'd just harden that shell around him to the point where he didnt care-- then the adult didnt care. =(

OBImomma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Id do flash cards and learn letter and sound at the same time. Then when he's got that there are BOB books that help kids learn to read. They are great and our library has them.

You might want to check the library and ask if they have any ideas ir books that could help.

Also try to make it fun. That way he's not stessing out about it

Good luck! Poor guy :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear18
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM
You are thoughtful I will definitely look into finding that DVD. It sounds like I need to take him through the basics of the alphabet and go from there. Poor little guy, I know he has to feel bad about himself.

To answer your question The school he's at just keeps pushing him forward because he was held back in kindergarten. So they don't want to hold him back again. It's so sad the school is just setting him up for failure.

Quoting Shy_Dia:

definitely flash cards... there's also a DVD from leapfrog. lol i think it was on netflix..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPbIjENEWs (<-- the youtube video of it. its only A and B, but it goes through the entire alphabet... BF's mom runs a daycare and within a month, even the 2 year olds knew each letter AND how to sound it out). if you cant find the DVD, or its not on netflix, i can send you my copy- DS doesnt need it anymore... but I would like it back if i ever have another kid. lolyou can use it for however long you need it... kids REALLY enjoy it- i mean, even the babies (under 12 months) were just staring at it and trying to make the sounds... babbling, but they were attempting. lol

you can work on 'sight' words too, after he learns each letter. sight words are words you can read by just looking at it... "and, like" simple things like that.

my question is-- with him so far behind, how did he pass the previous classes? around here, they dont have to be avid readers, but they need to know the very basics in order to go to first grade. =(

and when you work on the homework with him, dont yell at him/lose your temper. my bro is/was the same way and every time he got yelled at, it'd just harden that shell around him to the point where he didnt care-- then the adult didnt care. =(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duke311
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM
That leap frog abc DVD is great. I agree with shy_dia. And that you should practice the alphabet and sounds at the same time. I would review the sight words with him that he should know from kindergarden. I have the words if you need them. My son is in kindergarden. Then once he has them down, move onto the 1st grade words. I have those too... My daughter is in 1st. Pm me and I'll send them to you. I also have phonics flash cards I could send you the sounds that DD is studying this year. As long as he has his basic sight words down and practicing the phonics he should start reading better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)