Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questionable Childrens Games, Really??

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM
  • 22 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/14/childrens-board-games_n_1093764.html?ncid=webmail8#s473927&title=Candyland_How_To

You have to watch the slideshow on the webpage, its a bit ridiculous. Like Monopoly teaching kids to "be the 1%". Or Guess Who teaching kids how to profile people, or even Where's Waldo teaches kids how to be a stalker.

Children's Board Games: Questionable Lessons From Clue, Monopoly And Where's Waldo

The Huffington Post     First Posted: 11/16/11 08:42 PM ET   Updated: 11/16/11 08:42 PM ET

Six adults trapped in a mansion. One dead body. Weapons, secret passages and murder investigations. Sounds like just the sort of environment every child should feel at home in. Wait ... what?

The locked room mystery game Clue is -- as everyone knows -- a classic board-game-turned cult-classic movie. Now, its latest incarnation is a tween miniseries, complete with an under-18 cast and color-coded outfits (just so it's crystal clear that dressed-in-green Seamus is in fact, a modern-day Mr. Green). Now, in a world filled with Mortal Kombat, Carmageddon and Grand Theft Auto, Clue-mania might not raise the parental red flag. However, stop and think for a minute about what the game represents; it seems slightly (and hilariously) creepy, no?

Which begs the question: Do other children's board games, espouse questionable themes? Are our kids really better off playing videogames? Here are 11 more that may be less wholesome than they seem.

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermarie2006
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Think are thinking way too much into it lol

squishylove
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow because playing monopoly I think teaches kids how to make smart financial decisions. Clue helps kids with deductive reasoning and guess who is just a fun entertaining game to help with observation.

I guess positive thinking just isn't part of the world anymore.

Let's look at everything in a way to make it awful, or a lawsuit waiting to happen...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I guess they wouldnt be happy my son (3 years old) is getting the Angry Birds Game (knock on wood) for Christmas!!

jessie82087
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Oh boy...I didn't even read the article, but people need to chill out. It's a GAME. 

TC00
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Quoting crabtreemommy:

I guess they wouldnt be happy my son (3 years old) is getting the Angry Birds Game (knock on wood) for Christmas!!

Ohh NO! How dare you subject your son to that much violence?!?!?!  He's going to grow up thinking it's ok to throw birds at pigs, those poor poor defenseless birds. 

GirlWSlingshot
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Quoting TC00:

Quoting crabtreemommy:

Ohh NO! How dare you subject your son to that much violence?!?!?!  He's going to grow up thinking it's ok to throw birds at pigs, those poor poor defenseless birds. 

WTF? It's wrong to throw birds at pigs? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE EVER TELL ME?!!! I feel awful.

crabtreemommy
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I know!! I guess its even worse Im getting the stuffed birds so he can build his legos up and throw the birds at it! :) lol. My son LOVES angry birds! He plays it on my phone from time to time!!

Quoting TC00:

Quoting crabtreemommy:

coonsblessed
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Wow, I must be more screwed up than I thought, b/c I played all of those games growing up.  I wish they'd put that much energy into something that was actually harmful to kids.

TC00
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Quoting crabtreemommy:

I know!! I guess its even worse Im getting the stuffed birds so he can build his legos up and throw the birds at it! :) lol. My son LOVES angry birds! He plays it on my phone from time to time!!

Quoting TC00:

Quoting crabtreemommy:

I should call CPS on you!  How dare you allow your child to play such a violent game, even with his legos!

When I get stuck on a level I hand it to Girly, who's 5, and she gets me past it.  I just shake my head, I can't believe a 5yr old does better than me on a video game

osubucksbaby
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Haha this is comical. And what really makes me laugh... It's definitely not the board games that are bad influences, and i don't think it's the video games either to be honest, how about the fact that parents (not pointing the finger at any of you btw) are letting electronics raise their kids?! What ever happened to family game night with games like monopoly and clue? Parents these days are so busy and so involved with everything else, that their kids come second, and I think that's the real problem.

*stepping down off my soap box now* lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)