Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you pay a lump sum?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
With our credit history we discussed with our Realtor that dh and I are willing to pay half our yr lease upfront. So 6 months worth of rent upfront because we figured money talks and the more of it you bring to the table, the better chances we have of finding a home for rent.

Well after I told a few ppl of our plan ALOT of them said we shouldn't pay that much money upfront because we're not sure if the landlord will pay the mortgage with it. Since its one lump sum. And we'd suffer the consequences and our money would be gone.

So I'm asking you ladies your opinion on this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AjCeCeMom
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM
What consequences would you suffer? It's up to the landlord what they do with the money either way to be honest. They could be spending it every month on beer and hookers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveconfused09
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM
If they don't pay the mortgage we'd get put out by the bank.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

What consequences would you suffer? It's up to the landlord what they do with the money either way to be honest. They could be spending it every month on beer and hookers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikkiDoll
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:18 AM
If thats your only chance, then why not? Better than being homeless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chelsea_rh
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM
This happened to us. We have been living here for about 5yrs now. And the landlord and his wife ended up getting a divorce. One day the wife showed up asking us to give her rent instead of him because he kicked her out with their kid and took all the money out the bank acct. Drama. Then we learned he hadnt paid the mortgage in like six months. We didnt get kicked out but he lost the house. we didnt have to pay rent for three months. Then someone else bought the house and became our new landlord. But we are moving this wknd... But i dont think you should try to pay so much in advance. Most ppl only ask for deposit and a months rent. And with the economy the way it is now some ppl take first months rent and let you pay parts of the deposit slowly as well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sherner
by Shire...Baggins on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I wouldnt.  What if you leave the house within a month, you would have to try and get your money back.

Baby8901
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
if you do, have them sign something saying you are ok on rent until whatever date, that way if they don't pay the morgage you aren't out on your butts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveconfused09
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Any place we get we're staying a yr.

Quoting Sherner:

I wouldnt.  What if you leave the house within a month, you would have to try and get your money back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sherner
by Shire...Baggins on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I get that, but im talking more like, once you get there you find problems and need to leave(bug infestation, flooding, etc). 

Quoting loveconfused09:

Any place we get we're staying a yr.

Quoting Sherner:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)