Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cant decide, what do you think?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 12 Replies
My first marriage was a courthouse, I got, married in jeans and a tshirt. We split 2 years later. Df and I planned on having a wedding this summer in aug. Gonna cost 5,000 or a lil more. Can't plan til we get taxes to pay for it so id have about 5 months to plan it get a dress etc. df and I were talking and thought maybe this year with taxes we could fix up our house instead, we need a new water heater a new toilet, wood floors, new windows. Then get married within the next month at courthouse and.have a ceremony next summer. Were willing to wait to have ceremony not willing to wait for us to be married. So what do u all think? Should we just do it this summer or should we have a ceremony next summer and get married now. Adding that not having a ceremony at first will upset my mom, she wants be to have a ceremony and since I didn't get one with my first marriage I do want a ceremony. Everyone tells us if we wait on ceremony it will never happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xcassykayx
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM
I say ceremony next summer. And you may not be able to set things in stone without money, but you can definitely start planning. That's the fun part!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I don't know. I mean, investing in your home is always your best option, but getting married is important too. I really don't know what I would do.

.Pagan.
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM

well if things need to be fixed the id get married now and have the ceremony later. i got married in a court house..hubby wore is green and tan uniform and i wore a cute dress..it cost 50 bucks and ZERO stress yayyy lol. it has been 6.5 years since then...seems like shorter and longer at the same time...anyways...yeah id wait and do the ceremony later. congrats on tieing the knot!

i.m.r.
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM
It depends on what's more important to you. Getting married or having a
nice ceremony while you're getting married. Personally I would probably have the wedding but I'm a sucker for weddings. But if you both are ok with getting married at a courthouse and waiting to have a ceremony then go for it!!! The house needs love too lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegMon1
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I think the ceremony next summer and get married now at court house

heathermarie23
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I'm very partial to marriage, but personally, I'd wait for the big ceremony.  I know it's "special" but I'd rather fix up the house than have a fancy wedding ceremony.  Marriage is about joining your lives together and I think having a decent place to live is more important in your marriage's future than a ceremony.  I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

baquick
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM
The only downfall I have seen is that alot people don't always get around to the "later" ceremony. My friend has been waiting 15 years for hers and another has been waiting almost a year already.
You can do a wedding a lot cheaper.
Do your own flowers with your bridesmaids, find a park or pretty home to get marred in with a big backyard, have your friends and family help out with the food etc. my friend just got married this way and had a reception of about 60-70 people and her whole wedding cost less than a 1000 bucks. I made her wedding cake ;-) you can do both. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsLLove
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I would invest most of the money towards the house then maybe opt for a smaller ceramony. You don't have to spend 5,000 on a wedding. I had 250 people come to mine and spent 2,000. That's with paying for my brides maids dresses and some of the groomsmen's tuxes.

I say maybe find someones back yard or home to have the ceramny and festivites in that will save you at least 500 bucks. Then you can opt for a smaller less over the top dress. You can also look at consinment shops and belive it or not, craigslist and ebay. My friend got her 2,000 dollar dress from craigslist for 100 bucks. It had never even been worn! In season flowers are cheaper and if you look around I bet you can find a start up cake decorator who will give you a great price. You can also just have someone in the family make it. Center peices can be hand made and you can print off candy wrappers with your names on it and put it on candy bars. Or you can bag up little mints and put a tag on them as thank you favors.

So you have more then just one option here. You can still have the wedding you really want if you are willing to bargin shop and make somethings yourself.

Good Luck and best wishes!

sweettigeress
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I say the house comes first. 

TC00
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

The practical thing would be to fix up the house but I can understand wanting a wedding.

You could make the wedding cheaper, does someone have a big enough backyard that will allow yall to get married there?  You can buy a used wedding dress, and you can make your own flowers.  You can also make your own food for the reception

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)