Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you sue over this?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM
  • 122 Replies
Ok, so I was diagnosed with chronic migraines at 12. One of my triggers is any kind of birth control(hormonal). Then when I was 18, I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had it all removed in 2004. I was pain free and everything was good. My obgyn retired and a new doctor took his place.

At the begining of this year I started getting very painful periods again,and I noticed it was getting painful to have a bowel movement and sex was a little uncomfortable. Right away I called my doctor and set up an appointment. I told her and her reply was that I probably just had painful periods and pain with bowel movements is normal.

Flash forward to august of this year. My periods were getting more and more painful. My bowel movements when I had af were so painful I would shake and cry. I went to see my doctor again. Again she said it was normal. The next month I went in for my annual pap. I had had enough and had written down all my symptoms and even cried when telling her how much pain I was in, that it was getting worse and that I just KNEW my endo was back and I was terrified it had spread to my bowels.

She told me that many women think they have endo and don't have it(EVEN THOUGH I HAD IT BEFORE). She said she was refusing to do lap surgery on me UNLESS I took a 3 month shot of birth control. She fully KNEW about my migraines and that I can't have hormonal birth control. I also can't have it because I get migraine with aura and it ups my chance of having a stroke if I take birth control.

So I decided to get a second opinion. My new doctor agreed with me and said my old doctor was crazy for suggesting bc and refusing surgery given my history. So my new doc just did surgery on Wednesday, and Lo and behold, I have a VERY severe case of endometriosis. Especially on and around my colon. So bad that one of my ovaries is fused to my colon.

My doctor said she removed a tiny bit, but couldn't get much of anything because it was like cement. She said there's no doubt about it, that as soon as I know I don't want more kids, I will need a COMPLETE historectomy. Which will require me to be on hormone therapy and who knows what that will do to my migraine condition!

She said had this doctor have taken care of it in the past when I first was telling her about it, it could have all been removed and I would have been ok. Now, I will need to deal with this for life,and be in tons of pain every month. Then ill need a historectomy and I'm only 26 years old!

A lot of people have told me I should go after my old doc for malpractice. I don't know much about this kinda stuff. Do you think I have a case? Would you sue if you had this happen to you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockstarsMoM08
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenly1462
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM
I know you would, I just want as much info as I can get because I'm thinking this could get expensive. LOL but I love you and I thank you for all of your advice and support, I'm so lucky to have you as my bestie :) <3

Quoting RockstarsMoM08:

Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wiferichie
1 mom liked this

wow.... i'm not a "sue-happy" person, but i'd be tempted in this situation for sure!

TempestRayne

You might. but your best bet is to talk to a lawyer. You have to consider that some judges are cracking down on frivolous lawsuits, and since yours hasn't come with any permanent damage attached (yes, I know you will need a hysterectomy, but you plainly stated that it won't be until after you are sure you are done having kids), you might not have much of a case. Pain is really hard to quantify as a reason to sue.

rigosgurl
Dont knw if i would sue but i would for sure get a new doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chibi_Kitten
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Quoting RockstarsMoM08:

Yes!

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Yes I would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2twins9909
Yup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrickettyBoo
Omg, I'm so sorry you're going thru this. I don't know much about medical malpractice but it sounds like you might have a case. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyPie

Definitely malpractice. The old doctor pretty much ruined your whole life!

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)