Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attn all my good cookin' mama's...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am making a 5 lb whole chicken in the crockpot tomorrow.  The last time I made it, it was good (it was juicy) but blah tasting.  I have salt, pepper, garlic salt, Cayenne (sp?) Pepper, Red Pepper flakes, Rosemary, Rubbed Sage, Cumin, and Chili Powder.  I have one can of Cream of Chicken Soup, Onion, Garlic, and Carrots too. 

Any suggestions. 

PS - just to be clear I don't want to have to go to the store...LOL!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
army_wifey_06
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM
My mom makes what she calls a season salt chicken and she just pours Johnny's seasoning salt all over the skin of the chicken and cooks it in the crock pot. It is so good and so flavorful! We don't eat the skin since it's so salty though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Oh and I have a neighbor that probably has most regular spices on hand if it's something simple I don't have. :)

hayvensmommy07
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Butter under skin helps. Soup onions and carrots and garlic in crock pot, idk I usually put butter and lines and lemons under the skin on chicken plus oranges on cavity, with garlic and chicken stock in bottom of pan. Sooooo good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Do I rub it all under the skin OR just put a few lumps in different places?

Quoting hayvensmommy07:

Butter under skin helps. Soup onions and carrots and garlic in crock pot, idk I usually put butter and lines and lemons under the skin on chicken plus oranges on cavity, with garlic and chicken stock in bottom of pan. Sooooo good.

JennMcBride
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM
I would suggest the rosemary, onion carrotts and garlic. But I love cooking with the "cream of" soups!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DonnaPinitonya
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Well, let me tell you my crockpot chicken and maybe it will give you some ideas?

I slice butter and lay it in the bottom of the crock pot, not covered but 4-6 slices. Then I just put a little water in, not to cover the butter but to cover the bottom. I slice and layer lemon first then toothpick lemon slices to the chicken- you can easily skip this.

Next I use my spices to cover the layer of lemon, water and butter then I put the chicken in and cover the skin with the spices. Out of what you have I would use onion and carrots around the chicken and garlic salt and rosemary as my spices. Or I would salt and pepper the base and use the red pepper flakes on the chicken itself. If you use the sage and would also use it as a rub- all over the chicken, in the chicken and then chop my veggies and let it cook.

TexasWife
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Salt, pepper, and rosemary.  It makes me want to make a lemon pepper one yum. 

kngarber
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Thanks

Quoting JennMcBride:

I would suggest the rosemary, onion carrotts and garlic. But I love cooking with the "cream of" soups!

kngarber
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Ok the rosemary seems popular.  How much?  Just sprinkle it on?

Quoting TexasWife:

Salt, pepper, and rosemary.  It makes me want to make a lemon pepper one yum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)