Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Believe what you want but never say you're praying for me!!!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm serious its my biggest pet peeve and usually I'm a nice, loving person but you do this and I turn into a b-otch!

It doesn't bother me when I'm sick and you say you're praying because the way I view it all gods are one god and you may pray, I may do magic but our energy is going to the same place. There are times I need prayers and I'll ask my mother to put me on the church prayer list and I am pagan.

But I cannot stand when people ask me my beliefs and they push Jesus and then say they are praying. So what you're actually meaning to say is, "This is a free country but what you believe is false so I'm going to pray to my TRUE god to make you think like I do and save your soul from eternal damnation!"

Pray for me if you want but saying that is completely asshole-ish.

I will believe what I want, you go believe what you want but stop the holier than thou arrogance.

I plead for tolerance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robe739IsBack
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I learned on CM (if I'm not sure the Religion of the OP) to say: "I'm sending good thoughts & love your way!"

Rather then: "I'm praying for you."

It's just out of respect, is all.

I'd never say to someone (a non-believer) that I'd pray for their salvation.

(Although, I might sneak away & secretly pray when they don't know) LOL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Omg that would annoy me too! How ignorant of them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.E.Smama
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM
Amen sister! I agree a 100%!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JealousGrrl
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I hate when people say that too...All the praying in the world isn't going to make me believe in any religion...

kiaras_mommy
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM
I'm okay with that, you're not being a complete jerk about it.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

I learned on CM (if I'm not sure the Religion of the OP) to say: "I'm sending good thoughts & love your way!"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prissypoptart
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with robe.
I believe my God is the only God but if you are a firm believer in your own religon then I won't push it on you or call you wrong. If someone says they will rain dance for me or poop glitter or any way they send good thoughts, well... I think that's just peachy. Lol

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My3LuVs83
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM
I can see how a non-believer would be upset by something like that. That's why I don't say it. I understand you cannot force a belief on someone. I can secretly pray for someone without throwing it in their face and it's all good. I have never felt holier than anyone else and am far from it. To God we are all the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma21qtpi
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mom does that. I am a newly proclaimed Pagan coming from a VERY one sided Christian household and every time I see my mother, she demands that I pray to HER god with her... Gods forbid I ask her to pray to mine. She'd have a hissy fit. ugh. So, now my response is simply "If I'm going to pray with you, are you coming to ritual with me?" =)

momof52011
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I only say on cafemom that I am praying for those who ask for prayers. However I do pray silently without commenting for those who are in need and then sometimes I see if there's anything I can do to help, it's how my DH is and it's how I aspire to be. Silent prayre without letting the people know is the most important in his mind.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

kiaras_mommy
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM
But see I'm not talking about regular prayer like someone is having a rough day and you pray that they get through it.. I'm talking about the snobby, "You don't believe in Jesus? I'm praying for you and your family. I pray God is merciful and you don't go to hell!"

I don't hate prayer, I think its wonderful. Its the same as magic.. Sending positive energy to God/Gods and being filled with peace. Its amazing.

Quoting momof52011:

I only say on cafemom that I am praying for those who ask for prayers. However I do pray silently without commenting for those who are in need and then sometimes I see if there's anything I can do to help, it's how my DH is and it's how I aspire to be. Silent prayre without letting the people know is the most important in his mind.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)