Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Your Parents Still Lecture You? About EVERYTHING???

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM
  • 40 Replies

Gosh its driving me insane. I'm 25 fucking yeasrs old with a child of my own and sometimes I just want to ask my mom "Do you really think you raised me to be an idiot?"

Last night we took our 2yo DD to the Parade of Lights. It was a blast!! Of course, when I told my mom we were going I could hear in her voice she thought it was a bad idea. An hour before we left my mom called to make sure SO was coming and we'd bundle up DD for the weather. It was 20something degrees last night and we were up really late- way past bedtime. But if we wait for perfect conditions to do anything, we'd do nothing! We had a blast!! And wouldn't you know, the layers I dressed DD in kept her warm. Hmmmm.....maybe I DO know what I'm doing afterall.

So I call her this morning to tell her about our fun night and I mentioned I want to take DD to see Santa at the Children's Museum. "NOT a smart idea Heather, its really nasty outside and not good for you to be driving in." Ummmm...its lightly dumping snow. We live in Colorado. Again, if I wait for perfect conditions we'd never leave the house. So she says whatever and we go on about our conversation. Twenty secs later DD says "Oh Gosh" (something she hears me say often) and my mom (the super christian type...) says "WHAT did she just say?!?!" So I told her and she said "well that's better than what I thought" She thought she said Oh God and was ready to lecture me on teaching my child not to use the Lords name in vein (nevermind that we're teaching her religious freedom, and not one religion, something that doesn't bode well with my folks.

I just quickly ended that conversation. I love my mom, she's like my best friend, but more often than not this is what happens when we talk. Its one thing after another. I can't get through a conversation without hearing the disappointment in her voice and feeling like a 9yo again. I have to hurry off the phone which in turn seems to piss her off because I'm not going with whatever she says and following her rules. I feel like my parents try to parent me still...too much. And don't even get me started on my step dad!!! Grrr!!!

Is every parent like this?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missbrinleysmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM
I went to a twilight party the night breaking dawn was released and everyone went all out. I mean we all dressed up and had a blast. It was a huge group of us that all go to church together and husbands all work together. My mom saw pictures of me st the party on fb and called me the next morning crying. She said she did not approve of my new lifestyle and me delving in the dark side. She was so disappointed in my gothic friends and thought she raised me better than that. She didn't realize it was a party for a movie and thought that us how we really dressed....lol. the funniest thing is that everyone I was with was Mormon and a doctors wife. Not really the "bad crowd". Moms will be moms I guess. At least they care. I'm sure there are girls in this group that would die to have thier mom care enough to actually worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM
No def not my parents. I see them very often and I never get responses like that. I ask for advice and then they give it and I listen. Now that I think about it they respect how DH and I parent our son. My mom and dad would take us out for drives in the snow often, we loved it! We were always spontaneous so guess thats why. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceemuhreeashbee
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM
Ugh- that's my mom. But she is seriously incapable of talking to me withOUT nagging. There's a hidden 'nag' behind everything she says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.jade.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Not my parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
I totally agree. Some people prob wish they had the caring parents... Parents won't be around forever and if they do annoy sometimes, I am happy they are at least around to do so. =)

Quoting missbrinleysmom:

I went to a twilight party the night breaking dawn was released and everyone went all out. I mean we all dressed up and had a blast. It was a huge group of us that all go to church together and husbands all work together. My mom saw pictures of me st the party on fb and called me the next morning crying. She said she did not approve of my new lifestyle and me delving in the dark side. She was so disappointed in my gothic friends and thought she raised me better than that. She didn't realize it was a party for a movie and thought that us how we really dressed....lol. the funniest thing is that everyone I was with was Mormon and a doctors wife. Not really the "bad crowd".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
Sometimes my mom is like that, but not all the time. I know how frustrating it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
young_lv_mom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

My mom is quite funny, every time she starts to lecture me I turn into a smart ass, I don't really mean to I just say the first thing that pops in my head, like if she tries to tell me to dress my kids so they stay warm I look at her and with a strait face (or voice for the phone) and say something like "You mean the tank top and shorts are a bad idea?" After doing it she stopped saying things that are common sense. But maybe you could stop telling your mom what you plan on doing and just tell her what you did do, it might help. Sorry and GL

Mrs.Kg8500
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Its frustrating but at least it shows they care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fabiolamommyof2
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Idk about every parent but my parents can be like that. My DH & I just got our very first place & everytime my dad used to come over he'd criticize my house... Whenever I'd talk to either of my parents first thing they ask is if I've fed my kids... Duh! What do they think? I starve my kids just cause I don't live with my parents anymore? My dad lectures me about how I dress my kids like really??? My boys are always dressed nice & decent... Idk but that's how my parents are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I used to try the smart ass route and it always backfired lol

Quoting young_lv_mom:

My mom is quite funny, every time she starts to lecture me I turn into a smart ass, I don't really mean to I just say the first thing that pops in my head, like if she tries to tell me to dress my kids so they stay warm I look at her and with a strait face (or voice for the phone) and say something like "You mean the tank top and shorts are a bad idea?" After doing it she stopped saying things that are common sense. But maybe you could stop telling your mom what you plan on doing and just tell her what you did do, it might help. Sorry and GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)