Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If You Used To Be On PA...?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 19 Replies

I am just wondering about those of you who used to be on PA but now aren't. How easy was it for you to transition from PA to working? Or do you do both? I do not bash on people using it. I am just curious. I know that lots of people seem to stay on it for a long time. Is it hard to get out of the system? Not that I'm saying these people aren't trying hard enough but are there other reasons besides maybe they don't want to work that are causing this. Again, I'm totally NOT bashing :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
novachick
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM
I'm unsure. I have a feeling I'm about to need it for the first time :-( I am getting a divorce from my abusive cheating husband and I have 3 kids who I am a sah homeschooling mom to. So when we get divorced the only "income" I'll have is if he actually pays his child support, which I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I would never just sit on it though. I HATE the thought of having to use it and I am already striving to not need it for long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prissypoptart
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM
We were on it temporarily. My dh was receiving unemployment and we were getting medical and food. He has since found a job and we no longer need help or qualify. My son, however is disabled and receives ssi disability and also gets Medicaid. We also have private insurance on him. It wasn't hard to transition for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRach73
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM
It is hard to get off. But we also live in the state with the highest unemployment rate...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM
It depends on your mentality. I always feel frustrated when I give 2/3 of my paycheck to daycare, but its worth it. Being on PA is time consuming, and I couldn't stand being in the office. I will say there is a difference in the way people who are educated and those who are not treat other humans. I am not saying that if you didn't finish high school that you treat people poorly, or that some engineers aren't assholes either, but I can only say what I have seen.
It was a pretty easy choice for me. Graduate college, with a background that will provide for the children that I chose to bring onto this world and pay for them. I can chase my dreams later when I am done making my babies dreams happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM
I was on it temporary when I couldn't work because I was pregnant and had no income and no support from my parents. After I was able to recover from the birth and find a job I discontinued the PA except for the medical for just my son. Once my benefits kicked in from my work I added him to it. I don't bash those who use PA because I myself was on it. But I did try whatever I could to not mooch off the system and feel those who use it for a free ride should be ashamed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Where's that if you don't mind me asking im in Cali and the employment rate is bad as well.

Quoting MommyRach73:

It is hard to get off. But we also live in the state with the highest unemployment rate...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM
I was on F's for a clue of years, it is not hard to get off necessarily, but when you are so far below the poverty level that broke is a goal to set for (meaning that being broke would be an improvement in your financial situation) then it can take a while to no longer qualify.
lulu_tattoos
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM
I've used it temporarily a few times, at different points in my kids lives. We had wic when they were babies, foodstamps for a while at one point, medical coverage on and off (I'm an independent contractor and can't get affordable insurance).
But as a whole, the transition isn't that big a deal to me. Sometimes its a weight off my shoulders and sometimes its one more thing to worry about.
Edit: I actually just applied for medical for my son, because his father can't be bothered to pay any child support or cover him like he's supposed to. My daughter's dad covers her though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRach73
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM
Nevada... Not a horrible state, but I am ITCHING to move back to Texas. Economy is MUCH better there.

Quoting mammabear18:

Where's that if you don't mind me asking im in Cali and the employment rate is bad as well.

Quoting MommyRach73:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:17 PM
Nevada has had the highest unemployment rate for a long time now :-/
Quoting mammabear18:

Quoting MommyRach73:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)