Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM
  • 6 Replies
Ok so my 3 year old son refuses to potty train. I have tried everything to try to get him to use it but he is just not going. I know it has to do a little with that his dad and I broke up but its been two months already and still nothing. He tells me when he has to go and I take him to the bathroom and nope nothing. I am just at a lost on what to do. No bashing please just need advice on how to get him to stop being so stubborn about it.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MonsterNBoogie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Some kids are quick to potty training, others are not. The best thing you can do is be paitent and persistent. Which sometimes can be so difficult I know! There are a couple little tricks you can use to make potty training more fun for him though! I did a sticker reward chart and every successful potty trip, he got to pick a sticker and put it on the chart. I also got him to aim in the bowl by tossing a couple cheeri-o's in the toilet and told him it was a game to see if he could sink one. And for those lovely number twos, bring in a couple childrens books and read to him a little while while he tries. I used all of these techniques with both of my kids and they were really helpful at getting started which is the HARDEST part. Though if he'll be attending a pre-school or similar, perhaps you could say that he cannot attend until he can go potty like a big boy, though I should say, this will only work if he is excited for his new adventure, if he's nervous about school etc. it will only backfire. Best of luck!

Kelly2573
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM

well. sorry about you and your hubby. I would take him to potty every hour on the hour and be consistent. Even if he doesn't want to go he will get used to it. And what helped me was let him be around the house no diaper no pull-up and no underwear all the time until he starts not liking the feeling of going on himself. That helps too. But stay consistent that is so so so important. Once he knows he has no other choice but the potty he will naturally adapt. Good luck

dancemom4
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM
Ok thanks I will try it. I told him that he was a big boy and big boys use the potty...he said," mom I not a big boy I am yours baby and baby have diapers." This kid is to smart for his own good lol

Quoting MonsterNBoogie:

Some kids are quick to potty training, others are not. The best thing you can do is be paitent and persistent. Which sometimes can be so difficult I know! There are a couple little tricks you can use to make potty training more fun for him though! I did a sticker reward chart and every successful potty trip, he got to pick a sticker and put it on the chart. I also got him to aim in the bowl by tossing a couple cheeri-o's in the toilet and told him it was a game to see if he could sink one. And for those lovely number twos, bring in a couple childrens books and read to him a little while while he tries. I used all of these techniques with both of my kids and they were really helpful at getting started which is the HARDEST part. Though if he'll be attending a pre-school or similar, perhaps you could say that he cannot attend until he can go potty like a big boy, though I should say, this will only work if he is excited for his new adventure, if he's nervous about school etc. it will only backfire. Best of luck!

dancemom4
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Thanks ....I am trying to be consistent but I am a full time student and my dad watches him when I am at school so it is hard. Well I will just try harder.

Quoting Kelly2573:

well. sorry about you and. your hubby. I would take him to potty every hour on the hour and be consistent. Even if he doesn't want to go he will get used to it. And what helped me was let him be around the house no diaper no pull-up and no underwear all the time until he starts not liking the feeling of going on himself. That helps too. But stay consistent that is so so so important. Once he knows he has no other choice but the potty he will naturally adapt. Good luck

MonsterNBoogie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I too did the naked route and it did help, though with the winter months, it can be kind of difficult because you don't want them getting too chilly but if your house temp is kept warm enough it shouldn't be a problem!  Also, do you call him your sweet baby, or your baby boy etc? I was doing that with my daughter and didn't realize it, but she sure did! If you catch yourself referring to him as your little boy, etc.. try to stop yourself, it's so hard to break old habits, but it can be done!

Quoting Kelly2573:

well. sorry about you and your hubby. I would take him to potty every hour on the hour and be consistent. Even if he doesn't want to go he will get used to it. And what helped me was let him be around the house no diaper no pull-up and no underwear all the time until he starts not liking the feeling of going on himself. That helps too. But stay consistent that is so so so important. Once he knows he has no other choice but the potty he will naturally adapt. Good luck

“Speak when you are angry and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.” 
– Dr. Laurence J. Peter

- Well Wishes, MonsterNBoogie
flutterbeckie3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)