Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How much?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: How much is fair?

Options:

$3/hr during wk and $5/hr on weekends

$5/hr during wk and $7/hr on weekend

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

I am about to start watching my 2 and a half yr old "niece" while her mother waitresses. I don't know how much to charge. I don't want to charge too much but I also don't want to screw myself...help!?! How much is fair for both of us?
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I watch a 2 yr old. Saturday, Sunday and Monday for 12 hours a day and charge $125/week.

Duke311
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Is she goin to be working Very late hours? How long per day would you have to keep her? If it were me, I would charge the 5 & 7 if it was long stretches but if it wasn't but 4-5 hrs I wouldn't charge as much. Keeping an extra kid for say 8-12 hrs a day can be a bit overwhelming so I would charge more. That's just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Do you know what the going rate for daycare in your area is?  I'd start there and then maybe drop your price a little bit.

lulu_tattoos
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
If you charge her 5 and 7, its not gonna be worth her time to go to work. You would be taking at least half of her money, probably more.
Which means she'll probably drop you. Just something to think about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LabTech211
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM
That's iffy because waitresses don't make a lot and tips are variable. My baby sitter charges $30 per day (10hrs) for under age 2 and $25 per day for 2 and older. Full time 5 days a week at $125 for under 2 and $100 for 2 and up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My3LuVs83
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
If its for family I would just charge at the most like $15 a day. Even on weekends. If it wasnt family probably $20 a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My3LuVs83
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM
This is true. I certainly wouldnt pay for someone else to watch my child if in the end I will hardly have any money left over for other bills. There are daycares that charge $20 a day for one or $30 for 2 for a whole day.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

If you charge her 5 and 7, its not gonna be worth her time to go to work. You would be taking at least half of her money, probably more.

Which means she'll probably drop you. Just something to think about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I charge $20/a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoeypanther
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

5 and 7 sould be fine. you said she is going to be waitressing. as a former waitress she is going to be making tips everyday and should be able to cover your fees just with her tips. i only worked 3 days a week and came home with $200 a week just in tips and i dont live in a big city at all.

CafeMom Tickers
Mahi385
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for all of your input. We decided to go with $3-$5
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN