Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just the facts ma'am...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 17 Replies
A few questions, then, a rant...

1. Ever know anyone who was pregnant for 12-13months with one child?
2. Ever know anyone who saw a baby sucking its thumb via ultrasound before 15 weeks?
3. Ever know anyone who got pre-eclampsia before 20 weeks?
4. Ever know anyone who had pre-e and didn't have to abort or deliver within a week of diagnosis?

Rant-

I want to clear up a few misconceptions.

Pregnancy is roughly 40 weeks or 10 months. Conception generally occurs about 2 weeks after your last period give or take. (I know, we're all different, but no one is ever pregnant for 12-13 months)

Babies don't start sucking their thumbs until 15 weeks gestation.

Pre-eclampsia starts no earlier than 20 weeks, and anything before 32 is considered "early onset". The treatment? Abortion or delivery of the baby. Yes, they can prolong delivery for a bit to get steroids injected for lung development, but there's not much time, and there's not much they can do until the baby is out....

Soo... anyone? Answers to my questions? I'm open to being wrong, but I get the feeling that any stories I hear about anomalies will be rare. I know freak things occur, but the odds are against it in this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I don't have much experience with pre e. But I've never known anyone to be pregnant longer than 2 weeks past due date. (and that could be because the due date was WRONG)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooreMom523
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I didn't even know those misconceptions existed..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j.patzer
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM

everything you say about pre e is what i know to be true, very very rearly you get a dr that will let a baby go to almost 3 weeks over due but that usually when the dont have a good idea of actual conception, and hasnt happened much in the last 50 years.

StarryRain
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Yeah, just checking....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM
See I have heard a baby can be in your stomach up to a yr and this is most common in third world countries... If the baby is not removed it can die and fossilize sorta say inside you... I will see if I can find a link. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby8901
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM
yea, I saw a show once where the lady didn't know she was prego, she just thought she had cramps and the baby fosilized inside of her for like 40years...

Quoting brkr082005:

See I have heard a baby can be in your stomach up to a yr and this is most common in third world countries... If the baby is not removed it can die and fossilize sorta say inside you... I will see if I can find a link. =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThatBoysMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM
i had signs of pre e for a long time and finally they c sectioned him at 37wks when the max dose of magnesium did nothing for my BP. Im sure if they had treated it with meds sooner things wouldve gone better. This time im on BP meds already and im 12wks. Its very unpredictable and i know a woman with a stillborn at 28wks from it. I could go further but mobile is a real pain...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRach73
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM
All I know is babies develop fingerprints at 18 weeks.. I thought that was so freaking cool when I was prego with ds.

Ive never heard of a baby being in utero longer than 43 weeks. Meconium is dangerous past that... I do know that if birth is not started by a certain time that the baby actually fossilizes. Ive heard of cases where mom has been carrying a baby for thirty years... It is creepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sexyfox09
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM
When my mom was pregnant with me she went a months past her due date.
CabinMommyNH
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM
My grandmother was documented by the US Army as being pregnant with my mom for 46.5 weeks. That's about 11 months. Who knows for sure if its accurate since it was the 50's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)