Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cereal/barley

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM
  • 10 Replies
At how many months did you give your baby cereal? My dr says not until 4 months but I know ppl who done it as early as a month old my daughter is 3 months 3 weeks. Also should I spoon feed or put it in her bottle or either or? Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
My3LuVs83
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Well any age before 6 months is too early to feed anything besides milk. At 6 months I fed both my boys fruits and veggies. Started with apples then introduced a new food every 3-5 days to watch for allergies. I didnt give much cereal to my boys cause its just empty calories but if you want you can give oatmeal, rice and barley. Doctors always recomend not to put cereal in a bottle cause it defeats the purpose of them learning to eat solids plus it will make baby gain weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veggiebender
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I waited until 4 months. I spoon fed her. My mother-in-law told me to put it in the bottle, but after some research on that I found that most experts advise against putting it in the bottle as it can cause choking.

GiasMommy1003
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Yea I got barley- dr said 4 months it n food 6 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I didnt until 6 months and I started with veggies. Rice cereal is crap food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM
4 months, with a spoon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OrionsMyBabyman
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM
I never did rice cereal but whatever you do, definitely do NOT put it in her bottle! That's a choking hazard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_3388
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
My doctors told me not till 8 months because I bf. I always soon fed, it's safer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2wardgirls
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM
I did it at 4 mo's I spoon fed also started veggies at 6 and now she's 9 mo's and eats what We eat in small bite size pieces of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyMama88
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I waited til 4 months with oldest ds i thing younger ds was about 3 months he was going through an entire can of formula (the 21 oz can) in less than a week so his dr said to go ahead and give him some cereal. She also said to introduce new purees ( apples, bananas, carrots, geen beans, peas) one at a time wait at least 3-4 days before introducing the next so you know if they have an allergy to one and not have to guess which one it was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

If you are wanting to use cereal, I wouldn't do it until at least 6 months. I would spoon feed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)