Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gas/Propane to Electric...need advice

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM
  • 18 Replies
So DH and I live in a Trailer that is run off both Propane (stove, and heater) and Electric (everything else including washer/dryer and water heater). We are really getting annoyed with having to spend about 100 bucks a month on propane for the house PLUS an $80 electric bill

Have any of y'all done a switch from propane to electric? What did it cost ya? How difficult was it?

I know it will add to our electric, but is it worth it for the "convenience" if that makes sense?!

Any ideas would be helpful! THANKS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowboysgirl2810
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidyns_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM
My so delivers propane.... but I will say we lived in a 2 bedroom trailer and 150-200 on our electricity bills (everything electric) so what you seem to be paying isnt bad to me :) gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidyns_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM
transitioning from propane to electric for stove and heater is going to cost you! So unless you own your home I don't recommend it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowboysgirl2810
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Yeah, our 2 bedroom trailer is right now, about 0 for electric, so we pay about 180 monthly for gas and electric. Our neighbor across the street has a 3 bed 2.5 bath double wide (ours is a single) and she pays about 150/month for ALL electric.

We don't "own" this place yet, kinda a rent to own from DH brother. So we get "credit" for any improvements to the property. We are thinking of getting a double wide to put on the land and get rid of this one. But its going to be a WHILE before we can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tsume
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM

my mil has a double wide oringally 4 bed trailer that is now 6 bedroom trailer (she has 5 kids had rooms added to it inside) and her electric is $800.

cowboysgirl2810
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Holy cow! But that is a lot of people! We just have DH and I, and DD 3 months a year. I know back in Cali, our 2 bedroom apartment was only about 65 a month with washer/dryer in unit. I will definately consider that though! Thank you!

Quoting tsume:

my mil has a double wide oringally 4 bed trailer that is now 6 bedroom trailer (she has 5 kids had rooms added to it inside) and her electric is $800.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tsume
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

thats with 2 people living there now. at one time there were 10 of us living in that trailer and the electric was still 800.

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Holy cow! But that is a lot of people! We just have DH and I, and DD 3 months a year. I know back in Cali, our 2 bedroom apartment was only about 65 a month with washer/dryer in unit. I will definately consider that though! Thank you!

Quoting tsume:

CafeMom Tickers
cowboysgirl2810
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Wow! That's nuts! I don't think ours would ever get that high. We only use like one room in our house at a time. Usualy just the bed room. Occasionally the kitchen and bed room! Lol!

Quoting tsume:

thats with 2 people living there now. at one time there were 10 of us living in that trailer and the electric was still 800.

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Quoting tsume:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tsume
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM

they stay mostly in their bedrooms or they arent even home half the time and its still that high. but alot of her problems on why its so high is that she has well water and that is ran off of her electric and her ac has a leak in it some where. she has the unit set at 74 and during the day it will get up to 80 in the house so its constantly running. plus she has one of the $300 above ground pools from wal mart and leaves the pump on.

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Wow! That's nuts! I don't think ours would ever get that high. We only use like one room in our house at a time. Usualy just the bed room. Occasionally the kitchen and bed room! Lol!

Quoting tsume:

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Quoting tsume:

CafeMom Tickers
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM

with my experiacne, when we lived in a place where everything was electric.....it was cheaper. Gas is expensive as all shit balls.

Here our heater and water heater are gas. The bill kills us in winter. BUT we also have a pool and our electric bill NEVER gets near where the gas is, even during the summer when i have my pool pump on and my AC. its sad, shouldve went with electric when we got our new heater

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)