Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats wrong with Dora/Diego?

Posted by   + Show Post

On the cartoon post a lot of people said these were banned in thier house.

Why? I'm just curious.

My dd has outgrown shows like that, but she did watch them when she was little and other than the repeatX3 being annoying I saw nothing "ban" worthy.

Has it changed in the last 4 years?

3rd birthday. Poor thing melted in the car on the way home lol

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 6:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
AdoptingMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Ppl dont realize how much easier it makes it for there kids while growing to learn a lang. Its now taught in elementary middle and high schools here. My dd is aa/cuban/and japenese... japenese will be hard for her to learn but i want her to atleast know basics:)

When did learning another lang become so bad esp over these cartoons with so much violence ( i mean getting splattered fighting, and just down right stupid) become so much better.... in my book if my dd isnt learning from it she aint watching it, im teaching her while we play:)

Quoting Gealach:

Ikr, all I know is colors, 1-10 and some bad words lol

My mil is fluent and I really want her to teach dd

Quoting brkr082005:

Maybe not even that many! What do people have against spanish?? Huh?! J/K! =D Spanish is the second most spoken language, and some jobs prefer bilingual speaking people. Eh, to each their own. I wish I had Dora back in the day. My spanish isn't the best, wish it was shoot!

Quoting Gealach:

Unless they changed it, there is what, like 5 or 6 Spanish words an episode? If that many.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM
That would be great if she could. I spoke fluent spanish and sang songs when I was younger, my Abuela would watch me before I was in school while mom worked and I spent summers with her also when I went to school. My mom speaks spanish well, but for some reason didn't speak it much at home. Just english! I wish we got more spanish, like I said I know little now and sound like a ''gringa'' speaking it lol... I want DS to learn as well!

Quoting Gealach:

Ikr, all I know is colors, 1-10 and some bad words lol

My mil is fluent and I really want her to teach dd

Quoting brkr082005:

Maybe not even that many! What do people have against spanish?? Huh?! J/K! =D Spanish is the second most spoken language, and some jobs prefer bilingual speaking people. Eh, to each their own. I wish I had Dora back in the day. My spanish isn't the best, wish it was shoot!

Quoting Gealach:

Unless they changed it, there is what, like 5 or 6 Spanish words an episode? If that many.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Giger55
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I'm all for children being bi-lingual, but IMO kids should practice English before learning both lol. I mean if there was a show about the little Russian girl or boy going on adventures to get to America I think there'd be complaints.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM
4 moms liked this

Anyone who complains about their children learning a foreign language can't have studied much about language and child development. Studying any language other than a child's native tongue before the age of five makes it so much easier for them to learn foreign languages later in life. It opens pathways (best way I can explain it) that would otherwise be closed as they get older.

That said, Dora gets on my nerves. Diego is DS' hero though. The fact that I let DS watch Diego pisses my ex off because he's a paranoid isolationist, but that almost makes me like Diego more.

KenzieQsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM
For me, its way outdated and much of it makes little sense. As is the case with most kids shows but Dora gets on my nerves to begin with.
I do love, however, that it has taught my dd a few Spanish words. Same for Kai-Lan. Can't stand it!! But she's learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyuteangl88
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
First of all because they are both annoying as hell and second, I don't want my kids speaking Spanish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMomma1022
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My kids love it. Although I think DS is kind of outgrowing it but dd loves it and will sit for hours and watch both. I like it because it teaches them spanish because I learned last year that when my son goes to kindergarten he will be taking a class to teach him spanish. I don't think it should be forced but we have a lot of spanish speaking people in our town so I guess I can kinda see where the district is coming from.

The only reason I can see a parent banning it would be they don't want to force their child to learn a language until they are ready to make a knowledgable desicion about it. OR they have it out for people of mexican or spanish decent. IDK

But I think it's fine for my kids :) I wont stop them.

nikki32230
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I don't think it's bad, just obnoxious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaTortura
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting kyuteangl88:

First of all because they are both annoying as hell and second, I don't want my kids speaking Spanish.

Then you should probably move to Canada.

In the last 10 years the Hispanic/Latino population in the US has almost doubled.

There are more Hispanics/Latino in the US than Asians, American Indians, or African Americans.

In another 20 years (when your kids are our age) half the population will have Spanish as their first language.

You won't be able to order a Big Mac without saying "por favor"

Gealach
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting BellaTortura:

Quoting kyuteangl88:

Then you should probably move to Canada.

In the last 10 years the Hispanic/Latino population in the US has almost doubled.

There are more Hispanics/Latino in the US than Asians, American Indians, or African Americans.

In another 20 years (when your kids are our age) half the population will have Spanish as their first language.

You won't be able to order a Big Mac without saying "por favor"

that part made me giggle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)