Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was Her Dentist a Jerk or is it Just Me???!!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

So a few hours ago I took my DD who is 5 to the dentist for her first cleaning. She was a little nervous but I kept telling her that everything would be okay and nothing would hurt. I hadn’t met her dentist yet because I wasn’t in the room the first time she went so I expect a man maybe in his 40’s but as it turns out, the man looked like he was in his 70’s. I was a little apprehensive that he wouldn’t work well with Heather and I was right. He had no patience for her at all and kept getting frustrated (to the point of slightly raising his voice to her) whenever she got scared and didn’t want to open her mouth.

I was really upset at how this man treated my daughter but I didn’t want to cause a scene while she was in the middle of getting her teeth cleaned so I just kept quiet. I even overheard the dentist telling his hygienist that he wasn’t going to try getting x-rays because he knew he wouldn’t have any success. At the end of her appointment, he referred us to a pediatric dentist for the cavities she’ll need fixed.

I’m so glad we got a referral since I was NOT going to be bringing her back there anyways but I felt so insulted that he had so little patience for my daughter that he didn’t even want her as his patient anymore.

The only thing I said to him was that I hoped he understood that Heather is only 5 and had never gone through a cleaning before so she was scared. He just nodded and didn’t even say anything.

I told my SO what happened and he was actually a little irritated that I said anything to the dentist at all. He said that the guy was just trying to do his job and that its understandable that he was getting frustrated over Heather being un-cooperative.

I get that he needed to do his job but he could have been way less insensitive in my opinion. What do you guys think? Is my SO right? Should I have been more understanding about the whole thing or am I right to feel like this guy is a jerk that mistreated my kid?

I’m trying to see it from both sides but I just can’t see his behavior as justified.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
army_wifey_06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I think the dentist should have been more understanding. I used to be a dental assistant in a pediatric dental office, and the two dentists were great with kids...especially the scared ones. Was it a pediatric dentist? My ds is 2 1/2 and has been to the dentist 3 times but he hasn't had a cleaning yet (they just looked at his teeth and put on fluoride), but our dentist is amazing with him and he's just a general dentist not even pediatric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Yea, was he a pediatric dentist? Ds is 2 and will be going for his second check up tomorrow and she is great. The office is set up so nice and child frindly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I used to work as a dental assistant. And the dentist I worked with was the same way. I usually ended up telling him I could handle it, or ask the hygenist to page him out of the room. He had no patience for kids. I did the cleanings, flouride,  and x rays all myself (which in my state is legal). All I had him do was read the x rays and to a final check before the kid left. I don't necessarily thinnk you have to go to a pedo-dentist. But finding one who handles children well is key.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Trust your gut Momma. My son had a bad experience which I interrupted & pulled him out of there. We found a wonderful dentist that he loves & is excited about. You wouldn't go to a doctor that treated your child like that, don't go to a dentist that will either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM
I will only take my kids to a pediatric dentist. Which means I will drive 30 mins to get there. My dd has anxiety issues and her teeth wouldn't get cleaned anywhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMomma1022
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Sounds like he was just old and cranky LOL when i took Erik to my dentist I was able to go in the room with him and sit there and take pics. Erik loves the dentist so yea maybe getting the referral was a good idea, she shouldn't be afraid of the dentist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyTsunade81
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
no he wasnt a ped dentist i tried getting her into one but no one could take her. the referral is a blessing she needs to be around a dentist she feels comfortable with.

Quoting brkr082005:

Yea, was he a pediatric dentist? Ds is 2 and will be going for his second check up tomorrow and she is great. The office is set up so nice and child frindly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarryRain
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Ugh. My dentist growing up was olllld, but I loved him to pieces. His son took over his practice, and when he and his wife built their dream house on the other end of our street, I was over often, and loved talking to Sr and Jr. I would neverrrrrr take my kids to a dentist I wouldn't have liked myself as a kiddo. They see DH's childhood dentist now. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2lexinmark
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM
i would only take my kids to a pediatric dentist......my kids go to the best pediatric dentist in our state and she has gotten firm w them once or twice bc she needed too..which im ok w....i can understand why the dentist u saw maybe was trying to get her teeth cleaned quickly....and he prob isnt so used to working on kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyTsunade81
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I really wanted to take her to a pediactic dentist but all the ones I called either weren't accepting new patients or didn't accept Heather's insurance. I pretty much went with the first dentist I could find that would take her and that was a big mistake. I should have done more looking but I was desperate to get her in because I knew she had cavities. *sigh* Lesson learned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)