Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children and Medication

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is ADHD and he is in the first grade. He was diagnosed in Kindergarten, however, I had already known it well before that. I grew up with an extremely ADHD brother and the 2 of them are exactly the same. I avoided medicating my son because that was the last thing I wanted to do. We tried countless things to help him. Special diets, techniques, special help with IST in school. Nothing helped, he barely passed Kindergarten and was already showing promise to fail 1st. He was everywhere. His mind racing a thousand miles a minute. He cried to me one day and told me he hated school because he couldn't pay attention and focus.

It broke my heart, I felt like I was failing him.

I broke down and tried medication. Concerta. It was not forced upon me by the Dr. It was a choice.

He is doing so amazingly well in school it brings tears to my eyes. He is getting an award this Thursday! A fucking award! My heart is full of joy. He is happy, he is not a zombie... he is still his usual self.

It kills me to see these comments about mothers who medicate their children are lazy, or the way people look down on medication like it's the Devil. (Not all comments or situations were in this group). It breaks my heart. I am not a bad mother damnit. My son is not a fuckin ZOMBIE. He is a typical 6 year old boy. On his last report card it showed he turned 6 of his 2s into 3s... so tell me again how I am a bad parent? How?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
later.tater
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Wow! That is awesome. My son was diagnosed with add in Oct right before he turned 8. I didn't want to jump into medication. Like you we tried other routes. Its now Feb and its not getting better. He has an appt on the 20th. I am going to mention this medication and give it a shot. I'm so proud of your little guy mama! Congrats to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cschmura
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I think my son could benefit from medication for his ADHD but his dad won't let me put him on them. He failed kindergarten last year and isn't doing much better this year. Idk what we are going to do. Eh doesn't want to give him meds but he doesn't go to any of the meeting about ds. I'm glad you ds is doing better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I forgot to ask. Is there a generic or is it only name brand? My prescription plan sucks donkey balls for name brand lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

*Hugs momma*

I am right there with you. My son has ADHD and is autistic. I tried everything not to put him on medication but I finally had to. He started tenex about 2 weeks ago. Since then he has had good days at school everyday, he has been doing his classwork and his teachers have been so proud of him. You did what you had to do for your son and don't listen to other moms because they don't know your son or his issues.

You are a great mom because you took care of your child's needs.

later.tater
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks momma!

Don't get me wrong, some people jump into diagnosis, and medication when it's not needed... but that's not always the case and these people who just downright say this bs about this disorder, or use of medication in general piss me off.

It may be overdiagnosed, but it does exist and is very real.

Good luck with your LO momma. Whatever your decision, know that you're doing what you feel is best for your son. And that makes you a good mom.

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

Wow! That is awesome. My son was diagnosed with add in Oct right before he turned 8. I didn't want to jump into medication. Like you we tried other routes. Its now Feb and its not getting better. He has an appt on the 20th. I am going to mention this medication and give it a shot. I'm so proud of your little guy mama! Congrats to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
later.tater
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Hmmmm I dunno

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

I forgot to ask. Is there a generic or is it only name brand? My prescription plan sucks donkey balls for name brand lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I hope you didn't get this assumption from me.. Logan has been tested and passed on ADHD and Autism.. she simply wanted to medicate him for what she felt was anxiety even though even she agreed that there were improvements without meds..

I personally feel meds are a last resort, but I am not against them if needed..I felt like this nurse seemed to jump straight to meds dispite the proof that they werent needed:)

hugs

sweettigeress
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Going other routes does not work for all. I like that you tried not medicating him and you found out it failed before jumping on the medication wagon. Don't let anyone get you down on the choices you make for your own children. It's no ones business but your own. You did what was best and it works for him. You found an answer for him and that's great he's getting an award and turned his 2's to 3's. 

pacman071606
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I understand completely. I am currently dealing with this right now. We are trying natural medicines (Focus Factor, Bright Spark, etc) in order to help with his concentration, but we haven't been at it long enough to know if it is helping. He is in Kindergarten, but I have known for about two years; however, I'm not sure if ADHD is the accurate diagnosis for him. We are going soon to have other tests done because my family has a history of a lot of mental disorders. My aunt is schizophrenic. My sister and my mom are both bipolar and manic depressive, so I worry that he is, too.

Don't listen to other moms that tell you that you are lazy or a bad parent. I've had those feelings so many times. My son was suspended from prek. Yes, Pre-K! I felt like such a failure. I still do, sometimes. A lot of the times, really. I've tried it all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)