Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Because I am NOT Italian, I am not worthy of talking to...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 14 Replies
So we have a patient who comes in on a regular basis. When he calls he ALWAYS asks for me and insists that I take care of him when he comes in and leaves. Well we got into a conversation and he mentions about me being Italian, I of course correct him and say I was not Italian, actually I am hispanic. The look on his face was priceless. He then replies, you're not Italian?! Then kind of mumbles and walks off and leaves. He is an older gentleman and is very sweet. Well, he came in today and didn't say hi. I am bothered by it, but not going to make a big deal. I know racism is still around, but if he liked me before he knew I was spanish?? I should mention we hit it off because I like black and white movies, and like old school music, so he was impressed that someone my age appreciated fine history... So I am not worthy of talking to anymore :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StarryRain
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Ouch. Damn.

I'm Hispanic and Italian. (And Filipino and Irish)
Maybe I can straighten him out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mami2oneboy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I'm Hispanic . Ouch!! Sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haymanisourson
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
That's crazy! I would be bothered too :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I'm German.
when I tell people that when they ask what I am, they immediately think I either love hitler, or have a nazi in my family...I hate that shit.

sorry he was a jerkface :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I mean he didn't call me any names, but clearly last time he came in he was bothered and shocked... He was one of my fav patients too. Sooo sweet and he would croon for me sometimes. Lol I would love hearing his back in the day stories. No more of those now. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BunkyBoyd
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I had the similar thing happen with a member of a credit union I worked at. We talked about old cars and oldies music, but when he found out my boyfriend at the time was Hispanic he told me, "you should know better" and never spoke to me again! I'm white...
You just can't teach an old dog new tricks...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brkr082005
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
So dumb... People live in ignorance.

Quoting BunkyBoyd:

I had the similar thing happen with a member of a credit union I worked at. We talked about old cars and oldies music, but when he found out my boyfriend at the time was Hispanic he told me, "you should know better" and never spoke to me again! I'm white...

You just can't teach an old dog new tricks...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiSs.SmOkEy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Coming from an italian family some are like that. They are kinda judgemental and first impressions are a big thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiSs.SmOkEy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Lol. When our super mormons neighbors found out i was italian they.asked dh if i was a mafia child. They assumed we had nice things at so young because my family was in the mafia and gave me money. Smh. He just told them yeah and walked away

Quoting Gastromama2007:

I'm German.

when I tell people that when they ask what I am, they immediately think I either love hitler, or have a nazi in my family...I hate that shit.

sorry he was a jerkface :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

it does sting. i get jabs like this often. Im Irish, Russian, puerto rican and Hawaiian. The shit i catch from people is ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)