• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok what do you think...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 21 Replies

My inlaws put some expenses on their credit card for us a few weeks ago since someone got into our bank account and stole thousands of dollars. The total was $1080, and it has been 3 weeks since they put it on the card. At first they said we owed them $1100, then last week they told DH that it was $1200 because of interest on the credit card....ok fine. I went to pay the bill today in full and brought the $1200 in cash with me. MIL counted out the money and said that I was $250 short...ummm, no I am not. Well it turns out that they are counting the $250 that they gave us as a WEDDING GIFT after our wedding. WTF. I would have never accepted the gift if I knew that they would ask for it back. I am just irritated right now, we have the money to pay it back but I think its messed up that they are asking for the gift back on top of everything we owed. 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sam.Marie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Wow just wow!!!!! Smh some people!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMKristy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

A gift is exactly that...

And normally most credit cards don't start acquiring interest until 30 days after the purchase... so if you paid them back within that time period, they really shouldn't have charged you interest. Unless they made a cash advance against the card?

haymanisourson
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM
That's crazy! I would just be happy I got the $1200, which was more than you borrowed in the first place. And interest wouldn't be that much, its only been 3 weeks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I have no idea. I thought they were doing us a favor since our cards were cancelled during the whole fiasco. I will never ask a favor from them again. 

Quoting JMKristy:

And normally most credit cards don't start acquiring interest until 30 days after the purchase... so if you paid them back within that time period, they really shouldn't have charged you interest. Unless they made a cash advance against the card?

JMKristy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I don't blame you!!! That seems like a pretty screwy thing of them to do to you guys!!

Quoting ambermarie2006:

I have no idea. I thought they were doing us a favor since our cards were cancelled during the whole fiasco. I will never ask a favor from them again. 

Quoting JMKristy:

jessistarr85
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Sorry love, maybe you should think about cutting ties with them for awhile, It was nice that they did you a favor, but you paid it back in under a month. I don't see how they could possibally have the nerve to ask for the 250 back that was your wedding gift. 

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Quoting JMKristy:

lovemygirls4evr
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

A gift is a gift! Other wise it is called a LOAN. That sucks, I am sorry!

charliebean
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Tell them that you are not paying them for a GIFT. That's just fucking stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM
that's poopy. I'm sorry love :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Wtf.... tht is tacky of her. And rude. wt did hubby say abt tht?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)