Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypocritical? Double-standard? Yes.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM
  • 27 Replies
3 moms liked this

a friend posted this on FB today, and I HAD to steal it. at 5'11" and 145lbs., I come under constant scrutiny from friends, family and even strangers who say I "look like I need to eat a cheeseburger" (or another back-handed comment about my lack of weight). I've heard this my entire life. Thing is, I don't starve myself; I eat 3-5 times a day and work out 5 days a week (wasn't always that way, but I had a kid and lost my ability to eat 20x my body weight and not gain an ounce). But if I told an overweight person that they "look like they need to put down the fork"... Well, y'all know what kind of a response THAT would get.

So why are only big girls allowed to "love their bodies"??? Personally, I love, love, LOVE that I have muscles, I'm healthy, I'm STRONG, and I look better at "pushing 30" than I did at 21 !!!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

BUMP!

JG86
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I agree. I miss my old skinny self...I was proud of that. That's when I felt beautiful. It's definately a double standard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I have friends who have quit talking to me b/c I didn't "let myself go" when I had DD!! Like they're mad @ me b/c I quit smoking cigarettes and started working out!!?!? I just don't get it. 

Quoting JG86:

I agree. I miss my old skinny self...I was proud of that. That's when I felt beautiful. It's definately a double standard.

cLanief
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM
I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE! And I used to be a fatty!! I hate that I let myself be a fatty again after my first kid! Lol not anymore damnit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kjirstin7
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I agree!

2wardgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM
As someone who has suffered an eating disorder those comments made new feel good and that I have accomplished something. I liked the attention. I loved my "bones" and not too fond of my curves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Muscles are great to have, and some people are naturally bonier than others, but having "bones" as a goal isn't any healthier than rolls.

JG86
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe it's good that they stopped talking to you. They sound like crappy "friends"

Quoting MeTaL_MoMmA_08:

I have friends who have quit talking to me b/c I didn't "let myself go" when I had DD!! Like they're mad @ me b/c I quit smoking cigarettes and started working out!!?!? I just don't get it. 

Quoting JG86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I've never actually admitted this, but I had an (unnecessary) eating disorder in high school, purely b/c my subconscious processed ANY weight gain as potential to get out of control and turn into my sister (who was always BIG, but at 27 she's 6'0 and around 400lbs), and I still wrestle with it from time to time... . I know I know, metabolisms are different and it never would've actually happened, but the mind is a funny thing. It was weird, like, I wanted to be skinny but I was self-conscious about someone finding out the lengths I was going to. 

Quoting 2wardgirls:

As someone who has suffered an eating disorder those comments made new feel good and that I have accomplished something. I liked the attention. I loved my "bones" and not too fond of my curves.

lovelyladybump
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I LOVE this. I'm 5'11" and weigh 125. ( well not right now because I'm pregnant, but usually)I have hyperthyroidism so I has a hard time gaining weight. I ALWAYS get comments like, " wow you need a couple burgers," but if I were to reply with " you need to stop eating burgers" I'd be the bitch. Weight issues don't only affect bigger people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)