Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this bruise look like a thumbprint?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 24 Replies

I have been scared to DEATH for my son. Because he has very little vocabulary, he has asd, and has been giving his teachers problems with behaviors..
I've seen entirely too much shit in the news about our school systems and disabled children being treated so horribly.

When I got him dressed this morning he had no bruise, I was giving him a bath tonight and saw it.. I asked him, "Tj got an owie?" He said, "owie" I asked him, "what happened?" He said,"happened"...

Ya see, that's the problem.. Tj mimics questions and phrases instead of using words independently.

What do I do? Ask the teacher if something happened? Or just keep track of it? Or go to the principal? I already don't like this lady because she has a "holier then thou art" attitude.. I don't want to make it worse for my son... I'm at a loss... Confused.... :-/ help...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prissypoptart
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Another pic of the bruise on his shoulder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Take pics n keep track.... I hope no one is hurting your child :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

TJ sounds like my DD (who's 3, and ASD as well). And yes, that looks like a thumb print to me, but it could've been an accident, or he could've bonked the corner of a table or something (?). I know my kid is a walking demolition crew and constantly has a bruise or a scuff or something. But definitely keep an eye on it... I worry about that stuff.

Meg2011425
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
My DS gets them even when something barely touches him, but he has a vitamin deficiency. It could be a thumb print. I'd keep an eye on it and I'd also ask the teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Makynzies_Mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I would just keep record of it and if it continues then I would go to the teacher. Do they not send home a daily log? I was an aba para before I had my dd and we had to fill out logs everyday and send them home. They included activities, food logs, and if there were any incidents during the day the teacher would write a note on the log. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

It very well could be, but truth be told my DD's are covered in bruises like that.  They are clumbsy and playing and everything else they get bruises all over the place.  That one doesn't look like a "fresh bruise"  I just say that because of the color.  Or the way it appears in the picture.  You can ask the teacher, but chances are she probably won't even know.  Idk what to say in regards to advice, but *I* wouldn't be overly concerned at this point, however my children are very verbal, so it is different for me.  Sorry you don't have an answer from him

ETA - verbal wasn't the word I was looking for.  I understand he is verbal.  I hope you KWIM.

TC00
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids end up with bruises all the time, it may be innocent but it also might be more. I would take pics like you did and keep track of the bruises.

Right now even with a bruise like that if you went to the school or maybe even the police they would probably shrug it off or explain it away
goodfriendeva
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Yes that looks like he was grabbed at. I honestly dont know what or how you should handle this. My suggestion is to make the teacher aware of the situation.. Maybe another child did it and they can fill you in on what happened. If you dont get any answers talk to the principal.

StarryRain
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Uh oh.... keep us posted!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TC00
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Quoting kngarber:

It very well could be, but truth be told my DD's are covered in bruises like that.  They are clumbsy and playing and everything else they get bruises all over the place.  That one doesn't look like a "fresh bruise"  I just say that because of the color.  Or the way it appears in the picture.  You can ask the teacher, but chances are she probably won't even know.  Idk what to say in regards to advice, but *I* wouldn't be overly concerned at this point, however my children are very verbal, so it is different for me.  Sorry you don't have an answer from him

ETA - verbal wasn't the word I was looking for.  I understand he is verbal.  I hope you KWIM.

You're right about it not looking fresh, I bruise easy and they are always green first and the turn purple and get darker a day or two later
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)