Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could my blow dryer or straightener be the problem?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

I got an amazing haircut after hours of debating on what to get. And left the salon very happy with a bag of the exact products the lady used on me. Shampoo, conditioner, and a spray called "Free Shape" that helps blow drying go faster, protects from heat, and is light conditioning. She straigtened my curly hair after blow drying. I came home and loved it the next day as well. Then tried to re-create it exact same way...Not so much. It's a little flat and not touchably soft with light bounce. Is there a special technique I should use when blow drying or straightening to get more lift at the root? Do I need a better blow dryer or straightener? I just use a normal conair dryer and spent $100 on the "In styler" a while back and just use those two. Thanks for any help!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I have a Paul mitchell strainer and it is better than a chi. That could be your problem I don't know anything about the instyler
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
later.tater
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
I'm not sure hon. I use a Jose Eber straightener... it takes my crazy dry lookin frizzy hair and makes it look healthy, soft, and shiny... never used an "in styler"...

Take pic and post it...

If all else fails, go back and ask the stylist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goodfriendeva
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

buy Blow dryer with ION technology it cuts your drying time in half and causes LESS damage. Use a root booster at the roots and a round brush. Always do it in sections.

That's just an example of the blow dryer i suggest.. THey make cheaper ones.. But you do need to make sure you have that nozzle for direct heat.

http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-dryers/sedu-revolution-pro-tourmaline-ionic-tgr-4000i-hair-dryer#tab=specifications

2wardgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I can't help I can never get my hair to look the same as in the salon. Maybe make an appt and have her teach you how she does it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2wardgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I do wanna see a pic of the new cut!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntin_mama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Quoting 2wardgirls:

This is what it looked like after salon.

hannahsmom238
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I can never get my hair to look the same after I leave the salon. I'm pretty sure it's because I can't take my head off to style my own hair.

2wardgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM
So pretty!!!

Quoting huntin_mama:

Quoting 2wardgirls:

This is what it looked like after salon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChloeDolce
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Always shampoo just the roots..(what rinses through when u rinse is enough to clean the ends without drying them) only only condition what you can hold in a ponytail (this will prevent hair falling flat but give the body of the hair moisture it needs to survive heat styling)  Dont over do it on the styling spray because if you do they can leave a residue.  Blow dry hair with a large round brush angling it upwards and the root while drying and pulling it through and repeating never keeping the heat on any one section for too long.  If needed use a root lifter right at the roots for extra all day volve while drying ( i LOVE Oribe Volumista spray)  If you still need to iron..only iron from midshaft of hair down...not the root...because this will undo the volume your blow dry just gave and pull the iron out sideways not pulling the hair down. My fave blowdryer is T3 and my fave flatiron is GHD....but assuming you have good tools (ive heard the in styler is good) it could be more of a technique and product issue. (im a pro hairstylist and makeup artist btw)

liz.1986
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Wow, nice advice! I'm going to have to keep this in mind for myself. lol

Quoting ChloeDolce:

Always shampoo just the roots..(what rinses through when u rinse is enough to clean the ends without drying them) only only condition what you can hold in a ponytail (this will prevent hair falling flat but give the body of the hair moisture it needs to survive heat styling)  Dont over do it on the styling spray because if you do they can leave a residue.  Blow dry hair with a large round brush angling it upwards and the root while drying and pulling it through and repeating never keeping the heat on any one section for too long.  If needed use a root lifter right at the roots for extra all day volve while drying ( i LOVE Oribe Volumista spray)  If you still need to iron..only iron from midshaft of hair down...not the root...because this will undo the volume your blow dry just gave and pull the iron out sideways not pulling the hair down. My fave blowdryer is T3 and my fave flatiron is GHD....but assuming you have good tools (ive heard the in styler is good) it could be more of a technique and product issue. (im a pro hairstylist and makeup artist btw)

We have anonymous posting too!

Join us every Friday for our "I'll take that dare!" viewing parties!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)