Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Long?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
Should you keep an eye on a child with a possible concussion?

My DD was messing around in her room and smacked her head off the edge of her headboard, she's got a nice goose egg. We iced it, her pupils are dialiating normally.. but it's almost 11 here & the poor child is tired. I don't want to keep her up forever, but I also don't want her to be really ill. It's only been about an hour.

Wwyd?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amyers_2010
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

call the ER and explain the situation and see what they say. id say call the her ped but theyre not gonan answer

cLanief
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
how long ago did she do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting amyers_2010:

call the ER and explain the situation and see what they say. id say call the her ped but theyre not gonan answer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Call her doc. When my daughter thwacked her head a couple years ago, she couldn't talkand had a seizure. We took her to the ER where they did brain scans and found nothing. They had us keep an eyes on her and wake her up every couple of hours to make sure she was okay. You just make sure she wakes up normally, speaks normally and seems all right. Trust your gut.
ermka
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM
About an hour and 10 minutes ago? She seems alright other than being tired.. but it is late..

Quoting cLanief:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Call your doc. My son's doc has a answering service and then the on call doc calls us back.

When my son hit his head the doc said not to bother keeping him up that is outdated. He said as long as he stopped crying and doesn't seem confused to let him sleep. He also said to keep checking him through the night and call immediately if he starts breathing funny.

beco8627
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM
From what you explained, she's fine. Let the girl sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
If shes talking normally, vision is normal, eyes dialating, no head ache dizziness.. Etc.. Let her sleep. Check on her in an hour. After that she should be peachy keen! I speak from experience from 2 concussions.. 1 major and 1 minor.

Quoting ermka:

About an hour and 10 minutes ago? She seems alright other than being tired.. but it is late..

Quoting cLanief:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM
First off the egg size bump is good. Means the swelling is on the outside. I your worried let her sleep and wake her in 45 min. After that is she seems okay then 2 hours. You can stop whenever you feel comfortable. I have brothers who had concussions fairly often. As long as she responds and seems like she always does when you wake her. Then I wouldn't worry to much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kohlin91
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM
I say let her sleep if she is acting fine n normal my daughter is 2 n hit her head on the corner of our coffee table n I kept her up for a hr or two n she was done n wanted to take a nap n woke up good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)