• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why cant he stay awake to spend time w/his family???

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

For the past 3 yrs now I have been feeling like my DH does not care to spend time w/ our family. Usually when he gets home from work he is on his xbox  in minutes. He wears headphones and when I try to talk to him he seems annoyed. He plays it in the livingroom and takes up the tv. When I complain about it he will tell me to go the bedroom bc this is his tv. He will play til midnite only turning it off for dinner. And usually the family is about half way done w/dinner by the time he makes his plate. And if I actually get him to turn off the xbox he turns the tv on what he wants to watch(ESPN). We have a few shows that we both enjoy but if I actually get to pick something for myself he will get on the computer and play games there or falls asleep. It happens EVERYTIME! If I finally say something to him about him constantly playing games or falling asleep, he gets mad at me. He tells me that Im being rediculous and making stuff up. So then he is pissed  for the whole time that we are suppose to be spending together. All I want is to spend time w/my husband and him to WANT to spend time w/us. Is that too much to ask? I know everyone is going to say to leave him. But when he is in a good mood or I actually get him out of the house he is wonderful to be around. I start feeling guilty for being angry at him for the other stuff. He is such a people person and everyone enjoys being around him. They always say things like, "U must love living w/such a funny guy" or "I bet there is never a dull moment in ur house". But its quite the opposite.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CheesyKitty
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Ugh gamers! I my DH is your DH only with a PS3 instead of a Xbox. I don't have any advice really but you are not alone. And I really really love my DH even though he seems so anti-social.
He seems to try to break away from ps3 if I am in a good mood most of the day, but one small snarky moment and I lose him the rest of the night.
Maybe it is just a personality type, maybe you and I should get together and leave the boys to their toys ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Dh will get in ruts like this with gaming and the only way to change it is to call him out on it. You could try ignoring him to show him what it's like, or you may have to try counseling so hears it from someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Sounds like he's in a rut. Have you tried talking to him? How old is he? I'm sorry mama. 

Mami2oneboy
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM
My so is a gamer too, he plays when cooking or out with my mom stuff like that. I would be hurt if he'd played since he got home until bedtime, we enjoy watching shows together maybe do that more often even if it's shows that he likes just so you guys can cuddle and spend time . Talk to him and tell him how you feel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saucykitty22
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM

He will be 30 next month and yes I try talking to him about it at least twice a month but he gets so angry and starts bringing up all my faults past and present. I think he feels like Im attacking him everytime I try to communicate any negative feelings. And he wants me to ignore him, that means "peace and quiet" for him. He is always asking me if I have somewhere I can go so he wont be bothered. He did agree to couseling but only bc he thinks that it will shut me up once I hear someone else tell me how rediculous I sound. I will be doing that as soon as our insurance kicks in but I hope it accomplishes more than what he is expecting.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Wow. I'm lucky my dh isn't like that. He comes home from work immediately, never goes to bars or what not, never hangs out on gaming devices. If he does, it's us playing together. We always have time to discuss family/work issues. He helps with housework and kids and plans family events with me. Sounds like you need to give him an ultimatum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMKristy
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
What a bummer it would be if you accidently spilled a glass of water on the xbox while dusting... Oooops.

I hope your ins kicks in soon. it really does sound like he could be depressed to me. I hope once he hears what he is doing isn't normal he will agree to continue counseling and work with you to repair the relationship. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nqmochafrappe
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd break that shit! Blame it on one of the kids, a baby if u have one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saucykitty22
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

BUMP!

MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Your DH sounds incredibly immature.

I'm SO glad mine's not a "gamer"... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)