Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you watch The Bates? (Friends of the Duggars)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 33 Replies

People.com

Gil and Kelly Bates Welcome Baby No. 19

Thursday February 09, 2012 07:00 PM EST

Gil and Kelly Bates Welcome Baby No. 19

Gil and Kelly Bates, with their 19th child, Jeb Colton

Courtesy Bates Family

Having 19 kids – and willing to welcome more – isn't just a Duggar thing any more. 

Meet Gil and Kelly Bates of Lake City, Tenn., who had their 19th child – a boy, weighing in at 7 lbs., 8 oz., named Jeb Colton – on Feb. 1. 

"You would think with your 19th child, you wouldn't get excited and nervous," Gil, 47, tells PEOPLE in an exclusive interview. "But I was as nervous with this baby as I was with our first." 

The Bates family has known Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar for decades and has even appeared with the Duggars on their TLC show 19 Kids and Counting, which returns for season 6 on Tuesday (9 p.m. ET). Now, the Bates family will have their own show, a one-hour special airing March 27 on TLC after the 19 Kids and Counting season finale. 

In addition to new baby Jeb, all the Bates kids live at home: Zach, 23; Michaella, 22; Erin, 20; Lawson, 19; Nathan, 18; Alyssa, 17; Tori,16; Trace, 15; Carlin, 13; Josie, 12; Katie, 11; Jackson, 9; Warden, 8; Isaiah, 7; Addallee, 5; Ellie, 4; Callie, 2 and Judson, 1. 

"It is very exciting, and we're nervous, too," admits Kelly, 45, of the prospect of having their family life televised for millions to see. "Our biggest desire is to be real. The Duggars have helped people. We talked it over with the children, and everyone likes the idea of helping others. It is not wonderful all the time. We have the same struggles everyone has." 

The Bates both say that when they married 25 years ago, they anticipated having a "normal family" with "two or three kids," but that didn't happen. Three months into their marriage, they were pregnant with Zach. "We decided to trust God for children," Gil says. "And I would not trade His choices for mine any day." 
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heavenly1462
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

^ me either. I don't have cable anyway. 

Not sure how long the show will last, and I don't know why it needs to be a show???

Kaylawv2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Tlc has really over done this whole large family thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovenoahandjeff
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting heavenly1462:

No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Tlc has overdone everything. haha

Quoting Kaylawv2:

beadingmom17
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I would...I like both the Duggar and Bates families! I would love to see a Duggar/Bates wedding someday!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Haha very true. They find something that is popular and then make a million different shows about it.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Tlc has overdone everything. haha

Quoting Kaylawv2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JealousGrrl
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Nope.  I think it's nuts to have that many kids...lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

cowboysgirl2810
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I would! The way these family dynamics are, how they do it, there lifestyle... everything fascinates me! Lol! I'm also weird and really obsesssed with The Browns also though (Sister Wives) polygamists get me all sorts of interested! Lol!

I <3 TLC!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowboysgirl2810
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Its not going to be a series, they say, as of now, just a ,special" one hour, in the article.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

^ me either. I don't have cable anyway. 

Not sure how long the show will last, and I don't know why it needs to be a show???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)