Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's responsible? Us or the landlord? -Pics *UPDATE!*

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM
  • 259 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've lived in WA my whole life and we've never had any kind of mold issues at all. We rented the house we live in now back in November and ever since December we've had a reoccuring mold problem that wont go away! It's in the master bedroom and the spare bedroom. We keep the heaters on throughout the day with the celing fans on to circulate air and when the mold comes back up we clean it with a special bleach solution for mold. These are all things the rental company told us to do. The mold is coming back worse and worse and I'm at my wits end. I'm 8 months pregnant so half of my jeans aren't being worn right now and when I opened my bottom dresser drawer 3 pairs of my jeans were covered in mold! In our spare room closet 3 pairs of leather shoes were covered in mold! My dh and 2 1/2 year old ds have gotten bad coughs and a runny nose and my son's doctor said it could be from the mold. It's not healthy for us to be around and we've complained about it 5 times. Today they sent someone out and he said that basically mold wont harm us and tried to tell me that black mold doesn't grow in WA (which is bull crap). He told me that as tenants it is on us to clean the mold and take care of it. I could understand that but when it keeps coming back and wont stop it should be their problem to fix. He told me to watch out for orange/pinkish color mold because it is "really toxic" and when I told him we had some in our window sill he said "it wont hurt you". They're supposed to come back Monday to cut a hole in the wall and look at the insulation. Do any of you ladies have experience of dealing with mold and landlords? What do we do? I'll post a couple pictures...one is of one of the pairs of shoes that got ruined and another is part of the wall that was behind our night stand. 

This was all behind our night stand so we never knew it was there until we were moving furniture around.

And this was behind our dresser...you can see the orange color mold that he said was "really toxic".

Update 3/4::

We get junk mail for the previous tenants so I decided to look them up on facebook and ask if they ever had a mold issue here. Come to find out they had a horrible mold problem here as well and that's why they moved after only being here a short time. She told me to talk to my next door neighbors because they actually lived in this house and have pictures of all the mold. We went and talked to them and she showed me all the pictures and said the reason why the bathroom is brand new is because they had to completely gut it because of the mold. She said they are just painting over the mold when people move out. I talked to my dad and we are taking them to small claims court since they knew about the mold (my next door neighbor has a letter from them stating there is a mold problem and she's giving me a copy of it). The rental company also told me they were going to contact the owner to see if the house has any mold issues because they claim they didn't know of any which is bullshit since the last 2 tenants I found complained to them numerous times and moved out because of the mold! Tomorrow I'm taking my 2 year old to the doctor because I know he's sick from the mold. We are also going out tomorrow and getting an apartment with a month to month lease so we can live there until June when we move out of state. Thanks for all the advice ladies! I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the rental company so I'll keep you updated!

update 3/5::

The owner and maintence guy from the rental company came out today. We explained to the owner that we have proof of a known mold problem and he was more than willing to work with us. He still claims he had no idea about the mold but whatever. He gave us a $700 check on the spot $500 for our deposit and $200 for moving expenses. He also agreed to give us back this months rent of $850. We went and filled out all the paperwork for a new apartment today and should hear back on it tomorrow. If we get approved (which there is no reason we wouldn't) we could start moving in tomorrow. We probably wont sue now that they are giving us this money and some for moving expenses but I will also make sure to tell our local newspaper what is going on with this house so it wont get rented out to someone else without being properly taken care of! 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoxyJI
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM
20 moms liked this
Get. The. Heck. Out.

No joke. Sue them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLioness2012
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
I would be on their desk throwing a fit until they fixed it, moved us to a new apartment and maybe give you a few months free rent. That is unacceptable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
1 mom liked this
Holy shit.... sue! Take all those pics n run with it. Tht is total crap. Not safe at all!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06

We want to move. Luckily it's a month to month lease but we are moving out of state in June and I was hoping they'd fix it so we wouldn't have to move twice. I just don't want my 2 year old or newborn around this horrible stuff! 

Quoting RoxyJI:

Get. The. Heck. Out.

No joke. Sue them.

freshmom88
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Quoting RoxyJI:

Get. The. Heck. Out.

No joke. Sue them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxyJI
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this
This is not surface mold. It's probably deep in the walls (like before you were there) not your responsiblity. They need to take care of that, it's a hazard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

They're crazy..I've been in 3 times in person to complain and called twice. When I went in Thursday to pay rent the lady didn't even want to see my pictures. My husband called today and bitched them out and said we wont be paying anymore rent until they fix it. That at least got the guy to come out today but he just told us that mold happens and he'll be back monday to check the insulation. I have a feeling they wont do anything about it.

Quoting MamaLioness2012:

I would be on their desk throwing a fit until they fixed it, moved us to a new apartment and maybe give you a few months free rent. That is unacceptable!

PrissyKrissy05

agreed!

Quoting RoxyJI:

Get. The. Heck. Out.

No joke. Sue them.

Fields456
Unless you cause the problem that caused the mold.( like leaving a faicet on and flooding the house)
It is your landlords responsibility to fix it if they refuse get out and sue them. And from your pictures it is obviously and issue with plumbing in the walls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

This is what we're thinking too. I'm pretty sure it's deep in the walls. 

Quoting :

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)