• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All the gastro mamas out there ! Just got home from the hospital :/ Thank god my baby boy is ok!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 5 Replies

Omg what a stressful, worried, anxious, sad weekend for me...

My baby boy who is 6 months has been hospitalized. He was born with gastro and had a recent surgery for a hernia repair on his tummy. Friday morning around 3am hes been vomitting green (alien color) but goes back to sleep. He wasn't himself. He vomitted about 3 times at our house until i decided to take him to the EMERGENCY ROOM. We went to the emergency room around 5am....he started throwing up there twice !! and they didn't do anything. One of the nurses told me to go to my pediatrician instead (who are open at 8am) because there is a 6 hour wait !! WHAT!? So i waited till 7:30am to go to his pediatrician. I've waited for almost an hour because i didn't have any appointment. My son has been throwing up, on me, on his clothes, on all his blankies ive had brought and i just need somoene to tell me whats going on !!

When his dr saw him, she send me to go back to the hospital because hes in need for an iv. (The same hospital i was in for the emergency, but she direct send me to the pediatrician there...so that doctor is expected me.) I asked her why whats going on...shes worried because the throw up is green and since he has a history of gastroschisis. So i drove all the way back to the hospital but instead i went to the 3rd floor as im expected to be seen. They took xrays,and vital checks...and turns out he has an obstruction in his intestines...because they made him drink something and the xray sees there is a blockage. Due to scar tissues of prior surgery (still dont know which one) it can wrap around his intestines and it wont allow food to go through..thats why hes throwin up green... He needs to be transfered to another city to another hospital so the ambulance came... ! They gave him his IV, they put a tube through his nose down his throat to suck all the stuff he has in his stomach. Man i was so upset, and sad, i hate when my LO has to go through this! The worry that doctor has is that he might need to have another surgery.

MY LO was becoming pale and everything...

So the ambulance came and took me and my son to another hospital which is about 45 minutes away. The hospital that he was born with. They gave us a room and they just had to wait to seee what happens...the liquid that was being sucked all of a sudden became lighter than clearer ! The doctor said its a good sign, they might put the surgery on hold..they took another xray and the blockage has been repaired..through the suction ! Thank god he didn't have to have surgery !! I was praying, i was going through anxiety attacks..but it was all worth it..we are home now....but the dr said 30% it can happen again 10% it can be life term.

And if he throws up green again to come straight to the hospital he was born at.

Any gastro mamas has been through this?? I hope it doesn't happen again..it was one sad experience to see my baby boy go through so much and so little...

I do believe in GOD !

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2twins9909
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Wow poor baby. That is scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
This, fortunatly, did not happen to caden.

I'm sorry it happened to your little one. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyParent
by Amy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM
I had an obstruction and that is exactly what I went through. I was hospitalized for nine days with no food or drink by mouth but they may determine it is only fixable by surgery.

Hugs momma! And prayers for your little one.

Sorry the ER treated you like that :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HollyBerry727
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Poor baby. I'm praying for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyParent
by Amy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Oh and that NG tube is awful! I'm glad the suction worked.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)