Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The furry ones...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm 21 weeks and begining to realize how much life is going to change, not just for us, but for our dog as well.

Yes, we are that couple that includes the dog in everything. He's like our child. (not as crazy as some, but he is a huge part of our life) I know people that get rid of pets after a baby, and I cannot imagine ever doing that! I hope things don't change that much!

How did your pets do adjusting to a wee one? (I can't help but think of Lady and the Tramp :)) Or visa-versa, how did you adjust to having a pet and baby to care for?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bee.awesome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I don't have any pets... So, bump for you!

mjellis718
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We have two dogs (10 and 20lbs) and we were worried about them being jealous of the baby and playing too rough with him. While I was pregnant the dogs were super cuddly with my belly so we hoped they knew and would be good to the baby!

When Weston was born we had my dad bring his outfit he had worn at the hospital his first day so the pups could smell it and know what to expect. Dad said they fought over it and sat on the couch with it under their noses. They knew it was their baby, I think. When we came home the next day we played with the pups for a min in the garage and then took the baby out. Went in the baby's room and took him out of the carrier so the pups could sniff him. They sniffed for a good bit, licked his head and sat at my feet. They are soooo sweet and protective over him! If he cries they run to me and jump on my leg like they are wondering why I'm letting him cry! If they haven't seen him for awhile they run all over the house whining until they find him. I'd say they LOVE him and he smiles at their kisses (on the back of his head only!) so he loves them back :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Congrats!

Many pets will become very protective & loving of the new family member.  Hopefully that's the case with your dog.

JMKristy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Our pets adjusted really well! We honestly didnt even Put any thought into preparing the dogs for babies. Like you, we took them everywhere. When our first was born once we came home life as normal continued. The dogs loved both boys like they had always been around!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:44 AM

We had kids before dogs . . . 

Good luck!

pregnant bellyJoin the Pregnancy group for support & info!

littlecheifsmom
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:54 AM

my cats get a little jealous but that fades with in a few weeks. and then all they want to do is love on the new pack member. we have 3 cats, who have been around before ds1 was born. they are super spoiled and that never changed once ds1 was born. now ds1 is 6 and these cats, are his little cuddle buddies, and love him so much as he loves them too. ds2 who is due in april, will be the same. the love of kids and animals are super priceless.

LRay121
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Thanks, mamas! I hope he does as well as all these cute stories!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)