Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for the Christians......

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Is killing someone in a car crash considered murder? Would you go to "hell" for it whether is was an avoidable accident or not?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSlingshot
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Killing someone due to your negligence or bad choice could be considered a sin. But all sins are forgiven if you repent, so it wouldn't necessarily send you to hell.

MamaHome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

But is it any different than shooting someone?

Soooooo.....anything you do can be repented to avoid hell? That makes no sense to me.

I'm genuinely curious here.

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Killing someone due to your negligence or bad choice could be considered a sin. But all sins are forgiven if you repent, so it wouldn't necessarily send you to hell.

MommieSDW
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

It's all about the heart...

I feel if someone were to shoot someone in cold blood, I doubt they would sincerely be sorry enough to repent.

Quoting MamaHome:

Soooooo.....anything you do can be repented to avoid hell? That makes no sense to me.

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

GirlWSlingshot
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Killing someone on purpose is murder, whether it involves a gun or a car. Sin is missing the target of what God wants for and from us, so whether that's by an inch or a mile it's the same. Sin separates us from God so the severity of it isn't terribly important - separation is separation.

To fully repent, one must ask for forgiveness, do what you can to make it right and to correct the area of life that led to the sin so that it doesn't happen again. It's not always a pleasant experience and is usually extremely difficult. It means facing the darker sides of our character and existence, not something most murderers would be willing to do. 

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

RheaF
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

IDK, not my place to decide. Only God can say where a person goes.

Jenn8604
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
i agree!

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

hmmmmm

So only FULL repentance will grant forgiveness?

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Killing someone on purpose is murder, whether it involves a gun or a car. Sin is missing the target of what God wants for and from us, so whether that's by an inch or a mile it's the same. Sin separates us from God so the severity of it isn't terribly important - separation is separation.

To fully repent, one must ask for forgiveness, do what you can to make it right and to correct the area of life that led to the sin so that it doesn't happen again. It's not always a pleasant experience and is usually extremely difficult. It means facing the darker sides of our character and existence, not something most murderers would be willing to do. 

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

GirlWSlingshot
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

That's a matter of some debate. But that's what I believe to be true (from my studies).

Quoting MamaHome:

hmmmmm

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

MamaHome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

What type of studies?

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

That's a matter of some debate. But that's what I believe to be true (from my studies).

Quoting MamaHome:

hmmmmm

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

GirlWSlingshot
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Studying scripture directly, reading the thoughts of greater minds than mine. Repentance is a complicated subject - it's not just a feeling of remorse or regret. It's easy to say, "Oh, I feel bad that I did ____." But a lot harder to make the changes you need to make sure ____ doesn't recur.

If you're curious about Christianity in general and don't want to get bogged down in debates over immaterial things like which church has the right stance on female ministers, I suggest reading Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. He sums up general Christianity in a way that I don't think any other author or theologian has come close to.

What type of studies?

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Quoting MamaHome:

hmmmmm

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)