Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody's kids undergo oral sedation for dental work?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm terrified for my 3 yo's appointment in the am. They originally wanted to do general anasthesia. I refused, that's scarier... I'm just terrified he's going to have a bad reaction to the meds... :( I hate this.
Anybody else go through this with their kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ekh2010
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM
We had the general anesthesia right before she was 3. She had 2 teeth capped due to cavities and her front 2 pulled cuz they were dead and
had an infection that cld affect her big teeth. :( I miss her front teeth but she's still super cute. Dentist shld wrk fast and they shld be fine. I know its hard but try and take a big breath. My monkey was eating her favorite foods for dinner and was fine. Her teeth were sensitive but fine after 2 days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I personally went through oral sedation in my mid-teens to have my wisdom teeth removed. I'd recommend it, espeically if you are adverse to general anesthetic.

katiecat87
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM
My daughter had general anesthesia this past summer, she was 2. She had to get a tooth removed because she had a dead tooth. She also had a couple vagaries to get filled. It was scary but age came through fine. Just seeing how drowsy she was after the surgery made me feel bad. My daughter is very high energy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHome
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yep just last month. We had IV sedation (which is a little different from general, but hes still put to sleep)

He had 4 teeth removed that got damaged when he tripped and fell on a toy. It was TERRIFYING. But he did great. He's 2.

:)

OutlawMUA
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Oral for my then 4yo. No problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2lilcowoboys
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Weve had both oral and general when he was three
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Salsacookies
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

what they give isn't general anesthesia. with general, there needs to be a tube placed in the throat so the patient can breathe. it's used for major surgeries in a hospital. what they probably wanted to do was moderate sedation which is like a conscious sleep. they aren't aware, but they are still relatively conscious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)