Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How can i tell if my tat is infected?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 15 Replies
I just got a tattoo done yesterday afternoon. It doesn't hurt. Its not red. Its not puffy or swollen. Just feels like a sun burn. My other one I got isn't anywhere near as big as the one I just got, so it healed within days.

I'm just scared that because this one is so much bigger that its gonna get infected. I'm keeping it clean, and putting A&D Lotion on it. The soap I'm using to clean it with is Dial antibacterial soap.

If it was going to get infected, would it have already started getting like that?
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryjmom
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM

BUMP!

cLanief
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM
yes tats get hot like sun burns.. Especially if they're big. Pretty sure it would be huge and puffy and looking blistered if it was infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My big back piece healed the same as my small one but it did take a bit longer. I think mine was done scabbing after two weeks. The fact that it feels like a sun burn is totally normal. Just keep an eye out for any bumps or itching. But continue what you're doing! GL

Tooth_Inspector
by Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM
If it was infected you could have redness that proceeds about 3 days and the tattoo would become more scabby. But using too much ointment could cause that as well, use minimum ointment to just coat it. Yours doesn't sound infected, my husband wants to see a pic lol he is curious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Mine is a little smaller than my hand. Like my whole hand. Yeah its hot like a sun burn, and my first one got like that too for a day or so. I guess cause this one is just bigger I'm worried. I love it. Its so pretty. Ill try and post a pic of it.
first.time.momy
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM
If it was infected it would blister. And be really red, puffy, and extremely sore. Like a pp said don't use too much ointment on it. You want it to be able to breathe but stay moist if that makes sense. And don't rub it dry pat it dry. You sound like you are doing everything just right! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Would it already be blistered or red and puffy? I just got it done yesterday about 1 to 2 in the afternoon. Its been just over 24 full hours.
maryjmom
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I just took this. I've got the A&D lotion on it. Its the planet Saturn.

Does it look infected to you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Yep

Quoting cLanief:

yes tats get hot like sun burns.. Especially if they're big. Pretty sure it would be huge and puffy and looking blistered if it was infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM
If it gets hot and/or you run a fever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)