Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jrs_mama
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM
It is very rude to be on your cell phone while around other people. We have a rule at our house and my parents house. You have to excuse yourself to use your phone. My aunt will sit there in front of you and play on her Damn cell phone while having a convo, and more then half the time its I finish talking and I have to wait a good few mins for her response, I walk away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMEMomma05
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Haha,.nicely put. Too funny!

Quoting Bncholbert:

bahahaha @ screening process!! "um im sorry but if u dont pass my fb expectations....,ya need to go!!" LMAO geez..thats what this world is coming to! Summing people up by the content on their fb which half the time is exaggerated! And lets not forget all the people who have a drink & "drunk post" bahahaha those would make for a good evaluation!

Quoting LMEMomma05:

Especially at a Childs party! My son is only 13 months, so I don't have that problem yet. But I completely agree witg the really?! part. I dunno maybe they see fb as a "screening" process? Haha

Quoting Bncholbert:

This is so true! And theres usually so much going on at parties, who the heck has TIME to be on their phone?! Especially at a childrens party! I really hate when I get into a good convo with another mom at dd's school & they immediately say "do u have a fb?" Really?!?! LOL

Quoting LMEMomma05:

I could do it, whenever I attend a party doesn't matter if its a Childs birthday or an adults. My cell goes into my bag or pocket (depending on if Logan is with or being watched). Its possible but people have become lazy when it comes to real life social interaction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
After1
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM
I am not saying I don't go on too much but if I am having a conversation with somebody that is just rude. My boyfriend would have been livid. I have a friend at work that's like that too. It is so annoying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilMamaK
by Kaht on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I can. It is rude to be on your FB while at a group event.

*~*Wifey To Tommy(2.4.11), Mommy to Allyana(7.5.08), & Our angel baby Jovanny(3.6.10)*~*

tiredmomfor2
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I got seriously addicted to fb a while back..it took me a while but i finally cancelled my account. Now that it is gone, i get more done, spend more time with my kids and have noticed i have a longer attention span when talking to others. Plus i noticed once i had gotten so used to talking on the net that i had lost some of my social skills..just i would almost freeze up and would forget some of the common curioutesies you are supposed to do and my brain would give me some of the mental reminders about those people that it used to. (Such as what had been going on with that person the last time we talked. Etc)
I really like my life without it. I get on cafemom about once a day now (on my phone) and can go a week without going near my computer. So nice to feel like its not running my life anymore. :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

OMG I saw something some where the other day that had the ring bearer and the flower girl not doing the traditional jobs but going down the ilse with signs. One said something like "turn off your cell phones during the wedding" the next said "She's serious!" I laughed so hard! 

Very cute idea but no one should have to do stuff like that. If your in a room full of people you don't need to be online to be social. 

Quoting Evonavich:

Omg I just yelled at my friend on Sunday about that. It was my wedding reception/party and he was sitting there on fb, I threatened a cupcake to the face if he didnt get off!

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I just so happen to be looking at her but we were all having a big convo we were all involved in what she was saying. Its rude if your having a convo with someone and your only half listening. If you don't give a crap what other people are talking about and not going to contribute stay home why show up in the first place the point of the party was to be social a gathering because I hadn't seen them in so long. Not to hang out while they were on their phones.

And calling them out. I was neithr rude or upset them. They were the first to laugh and put their phones away knowing I was more or less joking and that they were being rude. Even if I had been rude about it my friends mostly know enough that their behavior was rude they were apart of the convo its not ok to 'half listen' or 'half contribute' when you show up to a social advent and decide its ok to just tune out.

I'm disappointed that someone even has this view its a very bad look on society that if the room is boring you don't have to do anything to make it better. How about if they were so bored (and they weren't they're addicted) they contribute something to make it better.

Next its going to be socially acceptable to sit in a room full of people silently playing on phones and call that a party and being out and social becuase you were in a room full of people just because you didn't interact doesn't mean you weren't social. Thats beyond reason.

Quoting beco8627:

Well, I personally have no problem going hours without checking my phone when I'm busy with other people. I don't really have issues with people checking their phones in a big group setting. I mean, you were turned to your right, listening to your friend talk...why do you care if the people to your left was looking at their phone? I do feel like a lot of people use their phones as a "coping mechanism," sometimes. If your put into a social setting, and your awkwardly sitting there, either not giving a crap about what other people are talking about, or just not having anything to say, you turn to your phone and play around on it so your not really expected to contribute to the conversation. Have you thought that perhaps your guests thought the conversation was boring? Instead of "calling them out," you could've simply asked them a direct question about something you know they're interested in...

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

SO glad someone else feels this is socially unacceptable! 

Quoting Jrs_mama:

It is very rude to be on your cell phone while around other people. We have a rule at our house and my parents house. You have to excuse yourself to use your phone. My aunt will sit there in front of you and play on her Damn cell phone while having a convo, and more then half the time its I finish talking and I have to wait a good few mins for her response, I walk away.

pinkenchanted
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

oh ya id be able to do it. then have a bunch of pics to upload when i got back! im not addicted to the internet...except pinterest...i seriously have an addiction to it. .

: /

lol, if i were to go out with my freinds i woudnt be on my phone the whole time.or any of the time for that matter. but we got rid of our cell phones so now the only access i have to the net is at home! haha, best decision we have ever made!

TempestRayne
by Donna on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Don't be too hard on them. they may be addicted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)