Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I think they are. But I wasn't hard on them I commented on it and they were the first to giggle and laugh about it. They know they have issues and weren't upset with me. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

Don't be too hard on them. they may be addicted.

mommaoftwo
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I am not usually on FB but I do need to check my phone all the time, between email and whatnot. I also have games and stuff

TexasWife
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I hate the ones who do it during the movies. I came to see the movie not be blinded every 2 seconds by your "I got a text message" light.

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I find it very rude and annoying. We have 2 friends like that, and we don't invite them over anymore because of that. Don't come to my house to have a drink or two and, plop on my sofa, and play on FB. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

That would annoy me! If I'm at a party and I want to check my phone I go to the bathroom. Unless the host themselves leaves (friends with people who have young children usually they have to go help their kids potty or something) or I want to show them a picture or something my phone doesn't come out period. 

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

I find it very rude and annoying. We have 2 friends like that, and we don't invite them over anymore because of that. Don't come to my house to have a drink or two and, plop on my sofa, and play on FB. Ugh!

mkraymond
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is very rude when you're in a social setting to be on your phone the entire time, not even just of FB, but texting someone else as well.  People are way too stuck on technology these days, and it is very sad that they feel like they have to update there status every 2 seconds, or whatever.  I didnt have a cell phone for about a yr. It wasnt until I got a crappy car, and had both my children that I felt I needed one just for emergencies. It is so easy to get sucked in, but so nice when you dont have it!

saltyalley1227
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate that. I seriously wanna beat ppl sometimes cuz they can't get off their stupid phones!! People don't know how to talk face to face any more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LML1
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I hardly use my cell phone since I'm a sahm... So I totally understand what you mean. It seems when I go out shopping everyone, EVERYONE is glued to that damn phone. I've had ppl run into me already b/c they walk with their heads down. It makes my eye twitch lol

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Lol wow...there is a time and place! If we're sitting around doing nothing I could care less. If we're looking up pictures of course it is fine. But actively chatting and hanging out? Smh.

And yes, if I had to I could give up my phone. =)
suziejax
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I so agree! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)