Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (271-280):
ScrChk23
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I can do it. I do do it. The only reason I would check it is if my BF texted me or to see if a phone call was from my kids school. If it is not an emergency, i put it back down and don't respond.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rramdeen
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

FB and Texting are addictions that people who are on them constantly cannot focus on anything but getting the next message or status.   I admit that I do go on FB periodically to play Cityville (which is a stress reliever) only after I've taken care of other things and texting only happens if a family member needs my help with something which is not time sensative other than that, I could care less of what happens in the social media outlet.  Get togethers are just that, getting together to chat face to face and enjoying the company.  You should make a sign for the next get together that "unless cell phones are for emergency purposes, leave them in designated area.  Face to face chat session in progress."

ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gitanagurl
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I Could. I myself think it's very rude. Doing this is like saying "hey my cell is more interesting than what your saying or doing". I would've gotten mad. I think that out of respect for other people the cell phone should be put away. What I do is everytime I go to the bathroom I check my cell and do what I have to while I'm on the toilet XD that way I don't do it when I'm with people. But the bucket is a good game too! You can be like ok, who ever can go the whole night with out the cell gets something.....Could be anything....

jlocsgirl
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM

How rude! I facebook when I'm by myself, never when I'm with friends or family!

mommaof697
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I have a friend that comes over just to visit me and then she texts someof her other other friends.  I always think it is rude but what do you say?

ashleysmommy123
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM

My DH is the phone guy in social settings, because he is far from a social person.  If we have a family get together, he's not fully comfortable participating in conversation or what not....so he plays with his phone.  He is like a big kid at an adult party...he needs something to occupy him when "mommy" drags him out in public! :)

katiekruschke
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We invited a friend of my boyfriends over for steak dinner the other night. His friend spent the ENTIRE time on his phone. We were so offended that we took the time to prepare a nice dinner for him and he ignored us the entire time (even after my boyfriend made a couple remarks about it) that I can honestly say we will probably never invit ehim out again. I like to text soemtimes but i dont use my phone for facebook adn wehn I'm talking to someone they get all my attention. It's just respectful and the right thing to do. I use a prepaid phone and go through about 250 minutes a month and about 250 texts a month (BTW its also MUCH cheaper! costs me $30 a month)

RavenDravenF
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

im with you on this

CafeMom Tickers

Whimsee
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I've never had FB. I've watched a relative DESTROY her marriage because of it, have friends who obsessively check other's "relationship" status or spend hours a day on it. I have a "real" life with lots of friends and activities. I don't have a need to display what I am doing to others. If you haven't ever, read the book 1984. From FB it is an easy transition to getting people to check in daily with Big Brother. (BTW I'm on CM about 10 minutes per week).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN