Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (281-290):
cstargarner
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

It makes me crazy too!!!  I have friends that do it and my husband does also.  He'll pull it out and start playing a game when we're out to dinner.  It makes me want to chunk it across the room when anyone does it.  SO RUDE!!!  What I really hate is the texting my friends do though.  that one irks me more than anything..  but i'm also one of those ppl who either won't answer calls or will tell ppl i'll call them back if i'm in the middle of a convo. 

Ravvie
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I think its socially acceptable and that's fine with me.

I can go without my iPhone if I have to. However, I usually don't. I'll keep it put away in nicer restaurants and at movies, but otherwise I don't care. No one I know really does care, other than my mother. I can manage to follow and contribute to conversations AND check my phone. I think its a case-by-case basis kind of thing. I won't deny that there are likely people whose addiction to Facebook and/or their phones keep them from functioning. I also won't deny that there are people who may have social anxiety and use their phones as a coping mechanism, and I certainly wouldn't fault someone for that. People who freak that someone is checking their phone, someone who has otherwise been engaging you and is at the time not in the middle of a conversation, are just far too uptight. Its the way things are these days. Bitching that someone is checking their phone is like bitching at the sun rising in the east. Maybe if you don't want them to check their phones, you should include them and be a tad more engaging.

I think rules about keeping phones put away at solemn occassions like weddings and funerals, or occassions where distraction is a problem, like the movies, are OK. But the idea of confiscating phones at the door to a party? Forget it. I'd laugh in the face of anyone that wanted to collect my phone until the party was over, possibly even flip the bird as I walk away. Are you kidding me? I'm an adult and this isn't grade school. No one gets to confiscate my possessions like a power-tripping principal sticking a GameBoy in his desk drawer until the semester is over. Not to mention, I paid a lot of money for this thing and its not going in anyone's hands but mine and my kid's. Never trust anyone else with your stuff. That's how things get stolen or broken.

Shelley927
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

It is not acceptable....They came to your home and have the gall to not spend that time with you and others that are there.....To me that is disrespect and I would have the thought that I was not important enough for them to spend with me face to face.....I would back up that NO CELL rule unless it was my kids.....

ysmeine
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I have found the more things I am doing; watching tv, cheching email, and playing a game; the more I am bored. If I focus on one thing I am more in tune and interested. We all have smart phones and sometimes I want to take them away.

Last night at a church dinner, I was the only one at the table without my phone out.

Jenny_Penny89
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Yeah I could.

hedgehog40
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

OH, yeah --- this is life these days.  I really get annoyed at the constant cell phone thing.  We have cook-out's in the summer and my neighbors come over (3 of them, dad, mom, and college age son) .  They sit down and first thing they do is pull out their cell phones and plop them next to them.  NO ONE ELSE is doing this at our party.  They even seem to be texting to each other - 6 feet apart.   It's ridiculous.   It's time to get your heads out of the phones and computers and LIVE REAL life with REAL LIVE people!!!!

mammajigglypuff
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I don't even own a cellphone so it's not a problem for me

JoLee12345
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM
that is rude and unaccceptable! You are correct that the should not utilize their phones in a social setting like that! Some people have no class!
mommyof11050307
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM
It's not a big deal to me as long as they don't spend the entire time on the phone. We went to my cousins bridal shower and her best friend's phone went off the entire time and refused to turn off the ringer or keep her conversation quiet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TabM
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I can go days without checking mine if I'm busy, I mostly use fb as a distraction if I"m bored and generally don't check it at all on vacation. But it also comes in handy as a distraction in groups for me. For example, while I love all of the girls in my group, there is one is in a terrible relationship and doesn't want to do anything about it except for report his egregeious behaviour every time we get together. All of the other girls are great with the sympathetic nods and "what a dick" comments so I ususally grab my phone to check my fb in order to not say something meanish or get caught rolling my eyes.

What I don't get is the people who post while actually on vacation. One girl a few months ago was on her honeymoon and seriously posted at least 30 pics every single night from what they did that day! Ummm aren't you supposed to have better things to do at night on your honeymoon?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)