Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (291-300):
Jennic4
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I am definitly doing the bucket....my friends are horrible at it!  I have a cheap phone so i cant get on because i have no net...but if i did i would probably be just as bad...but i never check my phone when i am with people!!!  I am doing the bucket thing at my house cuase i think thats a great idea!

lillysnow
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I could do it. I dont have a facebook
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I admit I am so addicted to FB, but I will never let my manners slide!  I would not check my FB status, etc, when in the middle of a conversation with friends at a gathering.  Not nice. 

sav820
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I see many people in restaurants ignoring their dates, he or she's on the phone and they sit there the entire time alone....completely ignored...I feel sorry for the other person who is neglecting their date or wife/husband....IF I was young and dating, I would have walked out & left the date behind..Its Extremely rude.

And those at your Dinner party...No No NO...I would NEVER stand for that...I have dinner parties quite often and NO one uses their phones...and the parties last from 5-6 pm until midnight...And when we have BBQ's NO one is on phones..they are having a good time...Otherwise is dount they'd come to the dinners...they are older folks..of course, because I am semi -retired...they must think like me, and believe its rude.. I've never had to ask company to put their phone down....away...not once.

I was on FB and found it Very boring, so I deleted my account. I set in back up every 2-3 months for a hour or two to see what family is doing since I have 10 siblings and my parents, total immedicate family 87 now  + counting...LOL. Plus my grandchildren pictures are always updated there ,its easier to post then to send hundreds of photos to relatives....My older sister even made a family FB account...NO one can get on unless you are immedicate family...Plus I do NOT think its a great idea to share every tid bit of your persinal life on a network LOL. so I go on snag the photos I want and shut it down. Otherwise i have NO need for it... I ve chcked it 3 times since sometime in November LOL..............BORINGGGGGGGGGGGG

PLEASE,  Someone,enlighten me...what & why are people addicted to FB and other social networks??  I have so many relatives , My DH, my 5 kids& their husbands , wife and 14 grand children I am involved with daily whether in person or by phone...And if its not them, it's My local friends and voluneteering..I guess I don't "SEE" or "Understand" why it's so darn popular??

EthansMom101207
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I think you have a good idea. You can't be paying attention to one another if your on your phone the whole time. The only time I ever check it is if my mom has my son & I am seeing if she messaged me about him, or if it goes off & I see it is her or my boyfriend, just to make sure they;re not wondering where I am.

hempmommy87
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? Yeah, we're getting there unfortunately :/

salviniata23
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

lol my hubbie is like that i yell at him all the time. i def can i sometimes dont want to answer my phone i get so annoyed. and everytime someone does that in a social event i say something like dont b rude or hello what the point if your just going to the same thing you do home

army_wifey_06
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Yes I could do it.

I think it's rude when people do that. I hate when I'm in the middle of a conversation with someone and they're busy texting or checking their fb. It's so annoying!

DCMsMommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

i hate that too, i went out to chilis the other day for dinner i looked around and EVERYONE WAS ON THEIR PHONE its ridiculous, the phone companys counldnt be happier

Dragonmamas
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Haha. I would get on to "Check In" but that would be all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)