Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (301-310):
PaganMommy04
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I've had to catch myself doing that a few times.  :-/  About a month ago I started trying to 1: Trim the number of sites I routinely go to.  I made a list of the sites that I absolutely could not live with out (obviously CM made the cut  LoL) and tried to keep it to about 5 sites that I check regularly.

2: I've started to limit the time I'm on each site.  Overall, CM gets the most of my time,  but hell, at least CM offers a lot more interaction than FB does for me.  Part of what started this internet culling for me is that I found myself spending HOURS on FB and not doing a damn thing.  There was nothing new to look at, the games are stupid time-wasters, and I found myself ashamed with how much of my time that FB was eating with absolutely nothing at all.

3: Even if it's something involving the internet, I've tried to find more constructive things to do.  I take Japanese lessons on Mango, I'm trying to learn how to play my violin through video lessons (at least until I can afford a teacher), and I'm trying to get back into writing.

I'm not on FB as much as I used to be and I'm not on it as long as I used to be either.  I'll usually take a quick peruse of my News Feed, check on specific friends, type up some replies and I'm done.  Sometimes I'll post a status, put up a few pictures and that's about it.  It's nice to not be such a FB slave anymore.

EvilQueenMommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who everytime we went out to dinner or just hang out she would spend most the time on her phone texting. So rude! We don't hang out anymore, just occassionally she messages me on facebook. I bet it's while she's having dinner with someone else...

CafeMom Tickers
AlexSosa
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I used to hang out with a girl that I swear would just use me for my phone. She would come over to hang out and ask to use my phone to msg her bf. I didnt know how to refuse so she would spend the whole time on my phone, on the internet, killing my battery. Made me so mad.

college.mom
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave up facebook for lent.  I have not used it since ash wednesday...I wont log on until Sunday.  It was amazing to detox from it.  I feel so free!  I miss it, but I can live without it.

charliebean
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Of course everyone can go 2 hours without checking their FB, but I wouldn't put my phone in no bucket just to hang out with some friends. I'm not 4 and I dont need to be monitored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maverick1957
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Look, I get it that communication is spreading to FB, texting, cell phones, etc. , especially with the kids. However, I draw the line at certain points.  NO TEXTING AT THE DINNER TABLE OR DURING FAMILY MEALS.  And why do they have to text you from UPSTAIRS?  Well, this isn't an issue about the kids.

As for rosemagic01, if you invite  friends into your home I don't think it unfair to ask them to visit, in person, the people there ...F/2/F.  Leave ph at front door (in case of family ER), but to sit in a room like this...texting, etc is just downright RUDE.  Some time ago I had to put my foot down with a neighbor as she would stop by for 30 min. visit and her daughter called 5 TIMES! , i.e. "MOM! I need ride to mall NOW"  (Mall is 10 min. walk).... Finally told her...come to visit?  Leave ph alone. RUDE to stay on ph all the time during our visit for frivilous (Mom, go get me a burger!)  I mean...SERIOUSLY?  Finally 1 day I'd had enough and when daughter called in  I grabbed her Mom's ph and tol the kid...JEEZ!!! Give your mom a break!

As for the adult situations.....proper protocol as most should know.  I'd follow rose in doing the ph bucket at front door in a heart beat. 

Sunflower7556
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I love the idea of a phone bucket.  I hate going out to lunch with a girlfriend and she texts the whole time.   I have set a different ring tone for my kids and the school and will only answer if it is them.  Even my husband knows he has to ring twice if it is an emergency because I do not answer the phone when I am with a friend.  I also do not answer call waiting when talking to someone unless it is the school.  I cherish my time with others and would hate wasting time on the phone.  I FB and CM when home alone but not out of the house.

kmbphx
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM
This is soooo true. Have them check their phones at the door! It's so rude to the people you are with that you have to ignore them because of the people you'd rather talk to who aren't even in the same room with you!!
Tonysgurl05
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I could do it without a problem I have no cell so I can not text and I have no fb account so I am in the clear
garjain
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I totally know what you are talking about. Couple of our friends have the same habit - when we have a get together, couple of our friends are most of the time on their phones, texting, doing FB, on the net etc etc.... It's really frustrating and sad:-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)