Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
coala
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I wouldn't have a problem going with out b/c I am one of those rare peole that doens't have a FB account.

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Totally agree! 

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Lol wow...there is a time and place! If we're sitting around doing nothing I could care less. If we're looking up pictures of course it is fine. But actively chatting and hanging out? Smh.

And yes, if I had to I could give up my phone. =)

1smartcookie
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see it that way. If you were having a "good convo," maybe she thought she'd like to continue talking to you on FB? Someone she has something in common with and would like to get to know better?

P.S. I do think it's rude to be on FB instead of interacting in whatever REAL LIFE activity you've been invited to, but it's rampant everywhere. I've seen people out on dates sitting across from each other, both texting furiously. I always wonder if they're texting each other.

Quoting LMEMomma05:

Especially at a Childs party! My son is only 13 months, so I don't have that problem yet. But I completely agree witg the really?! part. I dunno maybe they see fb as a "screening" process? Haha

Quoting Bncholbert:

This is so true! And theres usually so much going on at parties, who the heck has TIME to be on their phone?! Especially at a childrens party! I really hate when I get into a good convo with another mom at dd's school & they immediately say "do u have a fb?" Really?!?! LOL

Quoting LMEMomma05:

I could do it, whenever I attend a party doesn't matter if its a Childs birthday or an adults. My cell goes into my bag or pocket (depending on if Logan is with or being watched). Its possible but people have become lazy when it comes to real life social interaction.

whigmi
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM
I think a phone bucket is a great idea!!!!!!
DeniseGibson
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I could do it.

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I saw that on pinterest! I've definitely put the idea out there. We're going to be doing once a month get togethers and I gave that a run by as an option! So I might put it in place! 

Quoting whigmi:

I think a phone bucket is a great idea!!!!!!

xbellalovex
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Yes I could do it ! And I think that's a great idea I hate when I have friends over for a get together and everyone is on their phones
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikki32230
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I could do it easy, sometimes I leave my cell at home when I know we will be out all day just so I can enjoy my time with my family and not have to worry about it. Dh has to keep his phone on him for work at all times so we are never with out an emergency line should something happen... I just like to feel a little off the grid sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

As soon as I'm hanging out with someone (or people) my phone is put away. I don't have a data phone or whatever that gets me onto FB and CM and whatnot, but I won't pay attention to my phone once I'm with others. It's incredibly rude.

As for a vacation, as long as I had my son with me and didn't need to worry about him or check up on him, absolutely i could do it.

Kawanee
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I play D&D every Saturday night. Our GM has a "no phones/iPads/etc" rule during the game. It's three, maybe four hours. I have no trouble putting the iPad away during that time. Other players aren't so good about it though, and I'm wondering when the GM is going to get after them for it. I don't think it's a big deal, I think if you're in any kind of a social situation, whether it's a game of D&D or a party, you should be able to put the devices away and BE PRESENT in the situation. It shouldn't be that hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN