Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is This Socially Acceptable?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
GMom2011
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

When you are a guest at someone's social event, you are expected to participate, or don't show up at all. Not everything in life is about being catered to. There are going to be situations where you may not have anything to contribute to a conversation, but that doesn't mean you rudely and obviously tune everyone out to entertain yourself.  I'm sure the people who were talking found the conversation interesting, and were likely offended that their topic apparently wasn't good enough for those two who felt letting the world know their inane thoughts at that moment was SO much more important. People who act like this tend to be very self-centered, thoughtless people anyway and can't function unless everything is all about them to begin with. It's frustrating.

I had an aunt come and stay with me for a night because she had a job interview by me. I hardly get to see her, and was excited to see her. Figured we could catch up with a glass of wine. She spent the ENTIRE visit on her cell phone, texting, returning phone calls, completely ignoring me, like a teenager, and she's 45 years old! I was furious... here I was doing her a favor, and she's treating me like a hotel. Unacceptable.

Quoting beco8627:

Well, I personally have no problem going hours without checking my phone when I'm busy with other people. I don't really have issues with people checking their phones in a big group setting. I mean, you were turned to your right, listening to your friend talk...why do you care if the people to your left was looking at their phone? I do feel like a lot of people use their phones as a "coping mechanism," sometimes. If your put into a social setting, and your awkwardly sitting there, either not giving a crap about what other people are talking about, or just not having anything to say, you turn to your phone and play around on it so your not really expected to contribute to the conversation. Have you thought that perhaps your guests thought the conversation was boring? Instead of "calling them out," you could've simply asked them a direct question about something you know they're interested in...

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM
you can get together w pple?wow i thought life was fb. lol kidding.
i think its ridiculous. tho im guilty of it. i check cm when im w my friend.and shes checking fb. lol. id love to talk only but when shes on fb i get on cm.
w one of my other friends the only thing i do w fb is upload pix of us or put my location as at wherever w her and tag her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

People are so destractable these days! I can't imagine being in the middle of a game and people playing on their phone when they need to be paying attention!

Quoting Kawanee:

I play D&D every Saturday night. Our GM has a "no phones/iPads/etc" rule during the game. It's three, maybe four hours. I have no trouble putting the iPad away during that time. Other players aren't so good about it though, and I'm wondering when the GM is going to get after them for it. I don't think it's a big deal, I think if you're in any kind of a social situation, whether it's a game of D&D or a party, you should be able to put the devices away and BE PRESENT in the situation. It shouldn't be that hard.

sugarmama82
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

It's very rude, and unfortunately becoming acceptable behavior. SMH

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Thats not even funny though! A lot of people don't even want to get together these days or won't even use the phone because what for your on fb I'll just FB you and then of course there's the whole 'well i thought you said it like this' when i actually said it like that...lol. You have NO idea! LOL. 

I have no problem if your munually playing on the phone or if you have that kind of friendship where you guys sit in a room on cell phones (though i couldn't do it!) but in a group of adults who are hanging otu it seems a bit odd. I wasn't upset with them at all I found it funny that here we are being social and they have to go check a social site! LOL. 

Quoting Jenn8604:

you can get together w pple?wow i thought life was fb. lol kidding.
i think its ridiculous. tho im guilty of it. i check cm when im w my friend.and shes checking fb. lol. id love to talk only but when shes on fb i get on cm.
w one of my other friends the only thing i do w fb is upload pix of us or put my location as at wherever w her and tag her

rancharobeans
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I could go without. I do think it is socially acceptable to text though and I have noticed the older gen having more issues with it. You can't really force people think like you... make your rule and if they really can't live without it they won't be allowed to attend. Maybe they will send you a FB message LOL!!! 

magicalmommy12
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Let me start by saying my name is Mandy and Im a texting addict LOL! While I can go for hours without getting on my mobile web, I have an extremely difficult time not at least looking at my phone when I get a text message while out somewhere. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
jnttd
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
They were being a bit rude, but if some one tried to take my phone at the door I would laugh and leave. That is much more rude. I would think that I'M a grown woman who can appropriately manage myself and who the fuck is this snotty bitch to try to take my property? I wouldn't attend a get together with a controlling host like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginnyk87
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I don't see the big deal personally. As long as she wasn't on her phone the whole time I don't see a big deal with looking at her phone when no one is talking to her at the moment. If I receive a text from hubby or any family member I will check it. I won't sit there and text the whole time, but I will answer them. I think calling her out was a little extreme. Maybe it was something important.
luvmybug
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

FB is how i keep in touch with my family, so no i could not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)