Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

FML chicken pox???

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM
  • 21 Replies
Can anyone tell me if you have the vaccine for chickenpox can your child still get chickenpox??? One of my friends children has chickenpox I can't find out if she was vaccinated or not until the morning when her mom wakes up. Really upset. I have a special needs child will compromised immune system at my party on sunday as well as my son is very sick now. What are the chances???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

if the kid was recently vaccinated against varicella.. pretty high, as that is a live virus vaccine and is known to spread and cause varicella in the recipient.

and even vaccinated children can catch the diseases they are vaccinated against. its just a fact, it happens.

the best thing you can do now is prepare! whether its varicella or the flu or a cold, prepare for it. up vitamin d and a, give elderberry syrup, probiotics. feed your kids as much raw vegetables as theyll eat. kale, spinach, broccoli.

wolfybaby
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

and if your son does come down with varicella, dont medicate the fever! that will prolong the illness. the body needs to be hot to fight the infection. just a helpful tip. :]

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:45 AM
Thank you for letting me know she is 5 and a half not sure if or when she was done she is in school though and I don't belive her mom wouldn't vax she's not the type to not do it but we have never talked about it either.

Quoting wolfybaby:

and if your son does come down with varicella, dont medicate the fever! that will prolong the illness. the body needs to be hot to fight the infection. just a helpful tip. :]

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM

kids get a whole bunch of vaccines between the ages of 4 and 6. most get it done at 4 but some parents who delay or forget could do it later. so its a possibility she recently got them done.

if not, varicella is just one of those diseases thats always around. like pertussis and mealses. airborne, just waiting. :P

cowboysgirl2810
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this
No vax is 100%. I was vaccinated and have had pox twice =/

Unfortunately, like PP said, id just prepare. Also, make sure the school(s) is/are notified ASAP! They need to let other parents know there has been exposure (its annonymous of course but so everyone is aware)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM
It's actually a good thing for your ds to get it if he does because now he will have a much better chance at having a lifelong immunity to it whereas he obviously didn't gain immunity from the vax if he does catch it. 5&1/2 is a good age to catch it if you vaxed and he didnt gain the immunity because if he was not immune and caught it as a teen or adult or even while his wife was pregnant, exposing her, there could be major repercussions. Also the vax immunity wears off after a certain amount of years (I want to say about 10 but not 100% sure of that #). So if he does come down with it I know it's a pain but think of it as a blessing in disguise. Also your friends child could have gotten it from a recently vaccinated child as the varecella vax sheds the virus and can expose everyone just like a child with the chicken pox. So just like your ds if she was vaxed and didn't gain immunity she could catch it. She could be unvaxed for chicken pox though as many vaxing parents choose not to do that one so you never know, but again same situation, she most likely got it from a recently vaccinated person. No need to be alarmed for the immune suppressed child either as every time they are in contact with a recently vaccinated child they run the same risk as they do coming into contact with someone with the actual disease. Just be sure to let the parents know so they can decide how they want to handle it. It sux but is just how it is and how vaccines and diseases work. Hope that wasn't a jumbled mess lol and my info helps somewhat. Hope your ds is feeling well too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try4baby20
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Anyone who isn't vaccinated can get it so if ur child is not vaccinated then absolutely
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM

He is. I fought it I didn't want him to have it but they didn't give me much of a choice. But you can still get it I've heard of it I just wasn't sure what the chances were that he could even with the vaccination. 

Quoting try4baby20:

Anyone who isn't vaccinated can get it so if ur child is not vaccinated then absolutely

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM

The only reason I'm so worried about my son getting it is that he's had a fever for the last 2 weeks as it is around 102-103 even on tylenol (yes he's been do the doc he's on medicine he's got a REALLY bad ear infection that just won't stop!) and I don't want him to get sicker. But I wouldn't be upset if he got it. What I'm terrified about is the fact that my friends child is I believe unvaxed (due to being much younger) special needs and has also been very sick. =\ He doesn't take well to getting sick and I'm worried about him very much. 

As well as my mom got shingles in her 20's after having CP as a kid twice. I REALLY don't want it either! LOL. I don't know if my husband ever got them I assume he did though he's got 4 other brothers I'm sure they caught it at some point. I'll ask him in the morn.

Thank you though.

Quoting novachick:

It's actually a good thing for your ds to get it if he does because now he will have a much better chance at having a lifelong immunity to it whereas he obviously didn't gain immunity from the vax if he does catch it. 5&1/2 is a good age to catch it if you vaxed and he didnt gain the immunity because if he was not immune and caught it as a teen or adult or even while his wife was pregnant, exposing her, there could be major repercussions. Also the vax immunity wears off after a certain amount of years (I want to say about 10 but not 100% sure of that #). So if he does come down with it I know it's a pain but think of it as a blessing in disguise. Also your friends child could have gotten it from a recently vaccinated child as the varecella vax sheds the virus and can expose everyone just like a child with the chicken pox. So just like your ds if she was vaxed and didn't gain immunity she could catch it. She could be unvaxed for chicken pox though as many vaxing parents choose not to do that one so you never know, but again same situation, she most likely got it from a recently vaccinated person. No need to be alarmed for the immune suppressed child either as every time they are in contact with a recently vaccinated child they run the same risk as they do coming into contact with someone with the actual disease. Just be sure to let the parents know so they can decide how they want to handle it. It sux but is just how it is and how vaccines and diseases work. Hope that wasn't a jumbled mess lol and my info helps somewhat. Hope your ds is feeling well too.

try4baby20
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Ya it's just hard to say typically if ur vaxed the chances are pretty low ESP as a child but can still happen if 4 some reason u didn't create an immunity and anytime an adult has had pox they can develop shingles

Quoting rosemagic01:

He is. I fought it I didn't want him to have it but they didn't give me much of a choice. But you can still get it I've heard of it I just wasn't sure what the chances were that he could even with the vaccination. 

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)