Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this really what socializing has come to?! * edit *

Posted by   + Show Post
A few days ago on my way to work, I noticed ALOT of radio ads for social meeting sites and dating sites. I didn't think anything odd, just figured * okay easy money for those people. *

Well!!!!! The last few days I've realized those same ads are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! TV, radio, magazines, even on fliers that people pass out with info about some new cause! Is that really what socializing has come to?!

Are we as a whole too lazy to go out and actually meet new people? Or are we just that afraid of the rejection that may happen? Are we really that dependent on the internet to do everything for us, even help make us new friends, or find the love of our life?

Maybe its just me, idk.

Have you noticed a lot of ads for social meeting and dating sites too? Do you think its a bit extreme at how many there are? Do you think we as a society are just that lazy, or just afraid of rejection?

I am not bashing ANYONE or anything about these sites. I'm just over whelmed at all the sites that seem to everywhere. I have met some amazing moms on here that I never would have met any other way.
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Those sites capitalize off the idea that, if you broaden your search for Mr. Right, then you'll find him. What they fail to mention, which should be obvious, is that the number of toads also increase! Maybe the perfect person is in Japan. Idk. But I think I'd rather go there for an unrelated reason and find that person than pay a ton of money to talk to a slew of creepers!

thinkpink2012
by Bixy on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I actually prefer getting to know people online before meeting bc it takes the ackward chance you have nothing in common out of the equation! Me and shireecs have been friends on here for 5 years and she is finally coming to see me this weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by Donna on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Maybe because we are too busy working to creat a life that we won't be able to sustain without serious loans and massive credit card debt, which in turn makes up have to work more and longer hours which take away from being able to go out an socialize. we take short cuts by filling out ridiculously detailed profiles and having awkward internet conversation to get to know someone before we meet them, in an effort to not waste our precious and limited time.

tazmidgiefairy
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM
I mean with everyone busy schedule maybe it easier to meet talk to someone and then have a date at least u know u have stuff in common
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Internet= wider range of people to meet. Who really cares what others do?

sweettigeress
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Agreed. 

Quoting thinkpink2012:

I actually prefer getting to know people online before meeting bc it takes the ackward chance you have nothing in common out of the equation! Me and shireecs have been friends on here for 5 years and she is finally coming to see me this weekend.

NarutoSasukeSakuraKiba Hinata Shino  InoShikamaruChoji Neji   Lee  Tenten

CMS803
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM
I met my fiance online. He was looking for a fishing game on his phone and found an app for plentyoffish and downloaded it. It's a dating site. He was out of the country temporarily and couldn't meet people in our state any other way. I was a live in nanny for a woman who thought that having me around meant that I would raise her kid for her and wouldn't come home right after work, so she could have social time. I didn't have any other way of meeting people in our state with her acting this way. I no longer work for that woman and now have plenty of time to myself, but now have someone amazing to share it with! In our case, it worked in our favor. But I do agree that people seem to be getting lazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fonder
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I think we are a whole are addicted to technology. I think its harder to meet people off the net b/c people are always on their cell phone/ pc.

FearTheRedQueen
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with how times have changed. If you listen to stories about how your Grandparents and even parents met, a lot of those social opportunities aren't there anymore. My parents met at work, my Daddy was a factory worker at the time and my Mama was the factory nurse. My Daddy came in one shift very upset crying about my Poppy he was just diagnosed with cancer and the combination of the stress and heat of the factory (they made glass bottles) got to be too much for him. My Mama says she fell in love with him that day because of how much he cared about his family. Now a days they're relationship would have been majorly frowned upon. My Grandparents all met at dances during world war 2.

Shermy
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I just think that is how people roll these days and there isn't anything wrong with it in my book. Why would there be?

Also, I am guessing there is a reason that you hear about them a ton on the radio be it advertising ad share/you heard a few, noticed them, started thinking about it and then you were looking for them/many radio stations are owened by the same big companies. Oh hai clear channel!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)