Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Depression self help.... update in red

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have been seeing a therapist for almost 2 yrs. I have expressed to her how badly I wanted to seek treatment, do a retreat, something! She dug up some information for me and I had been looking online for something that would be benificial to my situation. Everything I have found that I love was either too long or way way way too far out from my budget... Ive been stuck, wanting help, but not helping my self in any way, telling myself and those around me that I cannot live like this anymore!! I am finally pulling myself up, and trying to find new ways to help myself. 

So I'm trying something different and new for me :) I have decided to try and make myself of a list of accomplishments and mental changes for a month. My list is as follows;

exsersise once a week, take my fish oil daily, with each issue @ work, find the silver lining, in bed by 9pm, burn my old journals, meditate nightly, list 3 daily good things thad happened with the day, (even if its only that i have my health, my son and his happiness) cut back on my smoking, cut back on my soda intake. 

My list is not massive, but its ways to really help myself. 

Hey Ladies! I promised I would keep you updated on my progress...

Its been nearly a month since my list began, I can successfully check multiple things off my list :) And I have honestly felt better!!! I am doing my best to not get discouraged for not being COMPLETLY successful, so far its working...

As of tonight, all of my previous journals have been burned.. I'm that person that writes allll the time, if i have the mental energy. Ive held on to these journals for many many many years. I felt no sadness burning them. I actually would smile sooo big watching them burn. Its felt so great to "let go" of all of those memories. Some good, some bad, but none I want to re-live. I had one spacifc journal that i devoured myself into when my sons dad and I were having our issues that lead up to our split. He knows about the journy that I am taking and asked if he could be there when that journal was burned. I agreed since we are working the best we can for our son. He never thought that it was sooo much written. He broke down and cried. I still smiled knowing I was letting it all go (I have let it go tattooed on my wrist) 

My soda intake is up and down. some days I do great and barely have 2 cans. ( I was drinking about 6 a day) and others I dont do as well. But its better then nothing right??

This also goes for my smoking. Some days I barely have any and others is the same. still keeping myself upbeat that I'm making progress.

i have found silver linings in all my problems, and I have tried to mention 3 good things about my day, daily. not as good as i wouldve hoped, but I'm happy where ive gotten!!

So Im about to start my new list and modifying the things that I wasnt as successful with. My fish oil is another check!! meditating nightly is something for me thats too much to try and do, but I can still try to do it weekly.. Umm thats all for now!!! Thank you so much ladies for your poisitive feedback so far! Im so greatful!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emtgirl885
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are great things to do!

BumbleBiasMum
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

You are already half way there by making this plan for yourself! Good for you, you can do it...and no matter how corny that sounds...it's still sincere!

I've been there, and know how it is...so GO YOU! Great list BTW.

boshs1andonly
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you! I have this tendency that when I get busy or stressed, the first things that get cut are my self care habits. So I have to start doing something like this too. 

mama_pink_tink
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Thank you sooo much! Its corny but i appreciate it more then you know!!!! I literally feel better knowing I have set some small goals to better myself!

Quoting BumbleBiasMum:

You are already half way there by making this plan for yourself! Good for you, you can do it...and no matter how corny that sounds...it's still sincere!

I've been there, and know how it is...so GO YOU! Great list BTW.

CafeMom Tickers

mama_pink_tink
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Here you go ladies, the oldest journal i still have!!! Burn baby burn!!!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Great job.... I love the concrete list. Keep it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM
This list is awesome! I have been seeing a therapist for about 7 years now. She told me since I am refusing meds, to do things that I really enjoy and make me happy more. For me, I love to bust out the Crayolas and color in my coloring book, love my video games, I whip my SO a lot, lol! I also enjoy painting my toes.

Don't judge me, these are things I still enjoy, lol. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_pink_tink
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I love your list though, little things in life is something thats best!! I havent been enjoying things, so i hope my list can make those enjoyable things enjoyable again

Quoting misslady80013:

This list is awesome! I have been seeing a therapist for about 7 years now. She told me since I am refusing meds, to do things that I really enjoy and make me happy more. For me, I love to bust out the Crayolas and color in my coloring book, love my video games, I whip my SO a lot, lol! I also enjoy painting my toes.

CafeMom Tickers

rmgriffberg
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

go for it!!! seems like a good list. you may also want to try taking b6 and or st johns wart. both help with depression and can be found anywhere vitamins are sold. good luck mama!

boshs1andonly
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

So glad to know it's not just me lol. Breaking out the coloring books makes me so happy :)  I've been seeing a therapist on and off for years, and it's only recently that I've been on meds to deal with ppd. I don't plan on staying on them for long though, so I do want to start doing other stuff that I can keep up once I stop taking them. 

Quoting misslady80013:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN