Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Does The Punishment Fit The Crime???!!!*EDITED*

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 68 Replies

So I’m engaged in an argument with my Mother and I need opinions…yesterday I found out that my 5 year old DD stole $250.00 cash from her grandpa (my ex’s dad), hid it in a drawer in their kitchen and was not planning on giving it back. I was livid! When I asked her what she was going to do with the money, she said she was going to give it to me to buy her things with. She knows what money is, she knows what stealing is and she knew what she was doing was wrong. I’ve caught her trying to steal candy from the grocery store and make up from the drug store before.

It won’t happen until she gets back from her weekend with her Dad but I’ve already decided how I’m going to punish her. Between my house, her dad’s house and my mom and dad’s house, she has 10 yes 10 pillow pets! I’m going to make her collect 5 of them, choose one to keep and donate the other 4 to Goodwill. I think it’s pretty light overall but not only does it teach her that there are major consequences for stealing but it also teaches her about charity.

This is where my mom and I are butting heads. She disagrees with how I want to punish Heather and thinks I’m being too harsh and I shouldn’t be so upset at what she did. At the most, I should only make her donate 1 pillow pet.

What do you guys think? Am I being too harsh or does the punishment fit the crime?!

Okay I just wanted to clarify a few things….first of all my DD didn’t actually try to spend any of the money or anything like that. She found it in the cabinet behind her Grandpa’s bed (he lives with her and her dad) and hid it in one of the drawers in the kitchen. Her plan was to sneak it out of the house when she left to come back home to me on Sunday.

I thought about the whole taking her to the police station thing but honestly I don’t think it will do much. She’s had a police officer talk to her before and it did nothing to deter her. I was pulled over on the side of the freeway because she’d gotten out of her car seat for the millionth time. A female state trooper pulled up behind us and when I explained what I was doing, she took a minute to talk to Heather and explain how important it is to stay in her seat, ect.

It worked for about a week and then she just went right back to getting out of her seat. I have caught her trying to put little pieces of candy in her pockets from the bins at the grocery store and I caught her trying to do the same thing with a tube of nail polish at Walgreens but I think the problem was that I didn’t punish her enough after those incidents.

I choose making her give 4 of her pillow pets because she didn’t try to spend any of the money and she did give it up and tell me where she put it immediately after I questioned her about Grandpa’s money being missing. I could tell she felt bad for taking it and I’m going to make sure she apologizes to him and offers to do something for him to make up for what she did.

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gealach
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I would donate at least $250 worth of her toys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarmama82
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

dang! $250?? I think the lesson is fitting....and it will stick.

LadyTsunade81
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I thought about that but she honestly doesn't have 250 worth of toys almost everything is hand me downs or cheaper toys. I picked the pillow pets because they are her most favorite things in the world and I know giving up almost half of them will hit her hard.

Quoting Gealach:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthagirl
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM
6 moms liked this

I think you are being to lenient. I would get rid of all of her pillow pets and then some. In the real world that would be at least a Class C misdemeanor

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I agree. It is not too harsh, that is a pretty big deal to steal that much money especially for a 5 year old since their concept of money is usually not accurate. $250 is like a thousand to an adult.

Quoting Gealach:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommie_to_be08
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I think its a lil harsh but thats just my opinion n don't ask what I would do cuz idk lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the punishment isn't harsh enough. She obviously has an issue here and it will only get worse if you don't squash it now.
I would call the PD and see if you could take her by sometime so a police officer could explain to her what happens to people that steal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelsieb84
I think it's suitable. Getting rid of all of them would be a little traumatizing I think. Yes it would teach her a lesson but she would become resentful. She probably had no concept of how much that was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stevynjjsmoma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

This

Quoting luvthagirl:

I think you are being to lenient. I would get rid of all of her pillow pets and then some. In the real world that would be at least a Class C misdemeanor

thinkpink2012
All the pillow pets would be gone. $250 is a lot of money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)