Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting question.. UPDATE IN RED

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 56 Replies

So im baby sitting these 2 kids. they are 4 and 2, and at first i was only Charging $3 an hour, and that was for both, not a piece... I justt upped the rate to $6 an hr. for both kids. NOT a piece... so i am averaging $270 a week... In my opinion that is a steal. considering day care rates per child.. do you think that charging $6 and hr for both kids not apiece is overcharging? The going rate per child in my town is $8-$10 an hr.

Just lookin to see what other moms think, because i was told by a different mom that also wants me to babysit that $3 hr is even to much just for 1 kid.. and she wants me to watch her newborn....

TIA ladies. :)

Okay.. so the mom comes to pay. which she was supposed to pay me $225 (she owed me $15 from last week and was going to jusst go ahead and pay for tomarrow) We agreed on $6 and hr starting monday 4-16. she comes today and says " I cant start paying you $6 till next week, so this week i am only paying you $3 an hr. sorry"  Even though she is working and her husand is an NCO via ARMY.. we are ARMY 2 and i know what he makes. lol So i guess that i dont really see the problem...

Wouldnt you be pissed??? sorry maybe im blowing it out.. but she was supposed to pay me $225, and instead gave me $112.. am i wrong for being lit up right now?!?!?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessi19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think thats bad at all for 2 kids! 

skylersmom44
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I am watching 2 kids the same age and I charge $2 a piece and I know that is a cheap rate but they are my neighbors. I think your rate sounds good. 

JakesMom712
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM
That's great! The teen sitters where i live charge 10hr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haydensmom4610
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think it sounds like a good rate. When hubby and I go out I pay my babysitter $10 per hour for 1 kid.

maximami
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM

thats a greatrate!! SHeesh I wish you lived in my city!! lol

ConnorMom228
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM
$3/ hr is less than half of minimum wage. If the mom only makes minimum, then I can understand giving her a a better deal. But $6 an hour is better. I was paying 10 for my last sitter. I'm paying 7 now. And that's just for occasional sitting, not all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Szontagh
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

i'm a nanny and i make double what you're making for twins and I'M being taken advantage of!! most nanny's in my area are making $15-$16 an hour for twins. $3 an hr is an insult. 

AmberMerrell
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Sounds good to me!! I baby-sit a 4 & 2 yr old also & get paid 25 a day for both kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cgangwer
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

WOW! I pay 7 an hour for 1 and if I leave both then I will pay 10. 6 is a deal especially if the going rate is 8-10 and you are leaveing them everyday. As a mom I would never leave my kids with someone for 3 bucks an hour daily. No one will ever take care of my kids as good as me but if you pay someone good they will most likely try harder to care for you kids. Just a note, I live in Alaska and they have programs here through the state to help out moms who have to work were instead of putting your child in day care they will pay for a babysitter. I would look into that because taking on someone elses kids can be stessful and cost money in areas you didn't expect. You desearve to be compesated well for it. 

Baby8901
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM
That's not bad at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)