Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Haven't been on in ages, here's an update on what's been going on in my life.

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi ladies. I haven't been on in a while but I just thought I'd share what I have been up to. In September I had my son Pierson and everything was going great. He was growing great and developing great. He had a small heart murmur but the pediatrician wasn't too worried because usually murmurs close on their own. In March he got a really bad viral infection and had to be hospitalized. We were transfered to 3 different hospitals and we went to a Children's hospital where they did an echocardiogram which is an ultrasound of his heart and found that he had another heart condition called a PDA or patent ductus arteriosus. Basically when babies are in the womb this ductus stays open because it's neccessary for them to survive, once they are born it's supposed to close within a few days after birth. If it doesn't close it causes oxygen rich blood from the aorta to mix with oxygen poor blood from the pulmonary artery, which causes alot of strain on the heart and lungs. So because of this he had major breathing problems and was wheezing all the time, we had to get a nebulizer to help with his breathing as well as an inhaler. The cardiologist at the hospital wanted to do a surgery to close the PDA so we had to wait a month to make sure he was totally healed from his viral infection. He just had the surgery on Monday the 16th and everything went well! They did the whole surgery through catheters in his upper thigh and put a plug in the PDA to close it. We stayed overnight in the hospital Monday night and the next morning they did a chest x-ray, an EKG and another echo to make sure everything looked good. We were discharged on Tuesday afternoon and he has been doing great at home! He's breathing so much better and is not as fussy as he used to be. I am so thankful that this heart defect was found and corrected!!! I just wanted to share what has been going on.

Here is a picture of Pierson in recovery.

Here he is a few hours after his surgery smiling away.

Here he is getting his echo done after his surgery.

Here are the 2 scabs from the caths. one was for his main artery the other was for a vein. Amazing!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
calimommy1021
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM

BUMP!

skittlebeans88
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I'm glad he's doing well! And he is such a cutie by the way! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstensmommie
by Joy on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Sounds like your little guy got realy lucky!

calimommy1021
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Thank you! I am glad he's doing well too.

Quoting skittlebeans88:

I'm glad he's doing well! And he is such a cutie by the way! :)

calimommy1021
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

He sure did. I was so thankful that they found it so early on. One of the nurses said that sometimes it gets missed and adults don't even know they have one and have to have this surgery to close it. It gets overlooked alot. 

Quoting kirstensmommie:

Sounds like your little guy got realy lucky!

skittlebeans88
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sokolowski
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM
omg I was nervous too keep reading thinking you were going to say he pasted I'm glad that everything worked out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimommy1021
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow! I am sorry to make it seem that way. And thank you! :)

Quoting sokolowski:

omg I was nervous too keep reading thinking you were going to say he pasted I'm glad that everything worked out

calimommy1021
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)